Hello,

I'm confused . I know that an application has to be self-signed (if not Symbian Signed).
I use Carbide C++, to create a SIS file and SISX file.
The SIS file cannot work, as it is unsigned (I'm fine with that ).

But until now, I thought that the SISX file was not yet self-signed. However it looks like it is, as it is created by ticking the option self-signed (and the fact that it is a SISX file means just that: self-signed, also it does install properly, with a warning message, as expected).

The only thing is: my application did not have a proper UID from Symbian (it was randomly generated by Carbide). So I got one from Symbian, from the unprotected range, as I understand it is meant to be used for self-signing (OS 9.0), and that one from the protected range would not work for self-signing (tell me if I'm wrong).
So I create my self-signed SISX file with the right UID now, it works.

Why is it possible to create in Carbide a SISX file (supposed to be self-signed) without a proper UID? The one generated by Carbide is supposed to be for testing only. Or is it because it is no different to those generated by Symbian? (in the unprotected range, I mean).

In any case I can see the point of getting a UID from Symbian as you fill a few information about the product, which is the only way to identify its origin, for instance.
Tell me, how much do I understand? Am I missing something?

Thanks.