Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

self-signed without proper Symbian UID?

Hello,

I'm confused . I know that an application has to be self-signed (if not Symbian Signed).
    I use Carbide C++, to create a SIS file and SISX file.
    The SIS file cannot work, as it is unsigned (I'm fine with that ).

But until now, I thought that the SISX file was not yet self-signed. However it looks like it is, as it is created by ticking the option self-signed (and the fact that it is a SISX file means just that: self-signed, also it does install properly, with a warning message, as expected).

The only thing is: my application did not have a proper UID from Symbian (it was randomly generated by Carbide). So I got one from Symbian, from the unprotected range, as I understand it is meant to be used for self-signing (OS 9.0), and that one from the protected range would not work for self-signing (tell me if I'm wrong).
    So I create my self-signed SISX file with the right UID now, it works.

Why is it possible to create in Carbide a SISX file (supposed to be self-signed) without a proper UID? The one generated by Carbide is supposed to be for testing only. Or is it because it is no different to those generated by Symbian? (in the unprotected range, I mean).

In any case I can see the point of getting a UID from Symbian as you fill a few information about the product, which is the only way to identify its origin, for instance.
    Tell me, how much do I understand? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: self-signed without proper Symbian UID?

Basically I suppose Carbide uses test-range UIDs by default (0xExxxxx ones), those UIDs should not be used for normal distribution versions and should only be used for examples & test&developerment state applications. I actually never tried self-signing with test range UID, but I assume it works.

Where as protected range UIDs would not work with self-signing, so you are correct on that one.

Basically by using the real UID allocated for your own account in Symbian signed, you can be certain that your application has unique UID, when using test-range UIDs, somebody else could as well be using the same UIDs which could lead to some unexpected problems..

Hello
    How do you self sign with carbide??

Nokia Developer Moderator

That is the default when you create a new project. Otherwise you can configure the SIS Builder in the project Properties (and check the Carbide.c++ group there)