Discussion Board

Thread: Confused..

Regular Contributor

Confused..

I have been working with an application for Qt 4.6.2 Symbian and Carbide for a long time now. So I have quite a large project that I've built in Carbide. Some time ago I was trying to change to Qt Creator but had a lot of problems with importing my project (Qt Creator didn't like it at all). From what I understand now it seems like the Nokia Qt SDK is the way to go now, so can I import my Carbide project into Qt Creator included in the SDK? Do you recommend me to use Nokia SDK now instead?

Also I'm planning to release on Ovi Store as soon as possible, any news on this?

From wiki (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._SDK_v1.0_Beta)
    # Ovi Store will be accepting applications created with the Nokia Qt SDK in the near future
    # Support is not provided for the Smart Installer for Symbian

Any ideas when this will be?

Thanks a lot for this new sdk!

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Confused..

Hi,

first of all I would like to emphasize that the Nokia Qt SDK is still in beta phase. If you are targetting production code, you should be aware that the product is not mature yet.

Regarding your questions about Carbide. How did you create those projects? If they are in qmake compatible format (meaning .pro files), then you should be able to open those in Qt Creator. If those are Carbide project files, we do not have any import functionality for this type yet, hence you will need to specify the source and header files again. In case you did not add any further compiler specifics, this should be feasible with limited amount of work.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mkalinow View Post
    Hi,

first of all I would like to emphasize that the Nokia Qt SDK is still in beta phase. If you are targetting production code, you should be aware that the product is not mature yet.

Regarding your questions about Carbide. How did you create those projects? If they are in qmake compatible format (meaning .pro files), then you should be able to open those in Qt Creator. If those are Carbide project files, we do not have any import functionality for this type yet, hence you will need to specify the source and header files again. In case you did not add any further compiler specifics, this should be feasible with limited amount of work.
    Yes, it's beta but it looks like the way to go in the future and Nokia also says this is going on Ovi Store soon, which makes me belive that Nokia will wait with releasing Qt for Ovi Store until this Nokia Qt SDK is released for real. So maybe the best thing to do now is to wait until it's not beta anymore and then continue working with the project in Qt Creator.

I tried to import my Carbide project (.pro) and got like 15000 warnings when build it for Qt for Symbian Devices, almost all warnings pointing at the Qt headers. Any idea how to avoid this?

Super Contributor

It sounds like your Qt SDK may not be configured correctly, or some old config info is messing it up. What specific errors are you getting?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    It sounds like your Qt SDK may not be configured correctly, or some old config info is messing it up. What specific errors are you getting?
    I now have installed a totally clean xp installation. I get a lot of warnings when I just tried to create a new project and build it for Qt for Symbian Devices. All warnings pointing at the Qt headers.

This is how to recreate it:
    1. A new totally clean xp installation (I have the same problems on windows 7)
    2. Download Nokia Qt SDK
    3. Open Qt Creator
    4. New Qt Project
    5. Build for device
    6. I get 288 warnings all pointing at Qt headers

Some of the compile output looking like this:

Code:
    In file included from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/epoc32/include/e32std.h:13, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/arch/qatomic_symbian.h:46, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qatomic_symbian.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/arch/qatomic_arch.h:86, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qatomic_arch.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/thread/qbasicatomic.h:227, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qbasicatomic.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/thread/qatomic.h:46, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qatomic.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qbytearray.h:45, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qbytearray.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qstring.h:46, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qstring.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/kernel/qobject.h:48, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qobject.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/kernel/qcoreapplication.h:45, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qcoreapplication.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtGui/../../src/gui/kernel/qapplication.h:45, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtGui/qapplication.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtGui/QApplication:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/QtCreator/bin/Testing/main.cpp:1: 
    /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/epoc32/include/e32cmn.h:6166: warning: 'TAny* operator new(TUint)' redeclared without dllimport attribute: previous dllimport ignored 
    /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/epoc32/include/e32cmn.h:6172: warning: 'TAny* operator new(TUint, TUint)' redeclared without dllimport attribute: previous dllimport ignored 
    /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/epoc32/include/e32cmn.h:6178: warning: 'void operator delete(TAny*)' redeclared without dllimport attribute: previous dllimport ignored 
    /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/epoc32/include/e32cmn.h:6185: warning: 'TAny* operator new [](TUint)' redeclared without dllimport attribute: previous dllimport ignored 
    /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/epoc32/include/e32cmn.h:6191: warning: 'void operator delete [](TAny*)' redeclared without dllimport attribute: previous dllimport ignored 
    In file included from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/epoc32/include/e32cmn.h:6691, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/epoc32/include/e32std.h:13, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/arch/qatomic_symbian.h:46, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qatomic_symbian.h:1, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/arch/qatomic_arch.h:86, 
    from /NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/include/QtCore/qatomic_arch.h:1
    What can I do to avoid the warnings?
    Last edited by stegemann; 2010-05-09 at 14:37.

Regular Contributor

Anyone have an idea on this?

Nokia Developer Moderator

The bug is reported and hopefully will be fixed soon. Meanwhile, they are warnings, so they can be ignored. Don't let them stop you from your work ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    The bug is reported and hopefully will be fixed soon. Meanwhile, they are warnings, so they can be ignored. Don't let them stop you from your work ...
    Hi again! Yes they are warnings and it works good with 288 warnings, but when trying to build my real large project I get over 15000 warnings of the same type which make everything so slow I can't use Qt Creator at all. So is it just me that get these warnings or do you also get them?

stegemann: I also get these kind of warnings in a freshly created project on a fresh install of WinXp.

Two remarks:
    - I am logged in as a limited user, however, I am running QtCreator as an admin (or else, it cannot start the emaulator, as it is registered in some registry key)

- At the very beginning I get this warning: The Symbian toolchain does not handle special characters in a project path well.
    However, my project path is: C:\SymbianProjects\HelloWorld
    I do not really see any "special characters" here.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by parrotfortytwo View Post
    - At the very beginning I get this warning: The Symbian toolchain does not handle special characters in a project path well.
    However, my project path is: C:\SymbianProjects\HelloWorld
    I do not really see any "special characters" here.
    Yes I also get this warning, what does it mean?