Discussion Board

Question Update sis with different package file name works on 5.0 but not on 3.0

Hi All,

I have to create a new version of an app(3.x and 5.0) for my company with a different name for the application(due to company policies). The company doesn't want to create a new application as we don't want to create issues with clients having problems with installation and installation. They want the new sis to work in the same way as if the name wasn't changed.

I have made all the changes including the resource files for displaying. These changes work without any problem. But if I change the package name in the sis file header, I get an 'Update error' when I install it on a 3.0 device while the updation works fine in 5.0(It even changes the package name in application manager!!!).

I have gone through the Common Installer Errors in which it says:

"Update error"

* The installation package is attempting to overwrite a file that doesn't belong to it.
    o This also applies if your Standard Application (SA) package has the same UID as an already installed one, but uses a different package name (note that this does not refer to the file name of the SIS file, but the user-visible package name declared inside the PKG file).
    o You have a file, such as a resource shared between two applications, and one of the applications is already installed.
    * Partial Upgrade (PU) installation package is attempting to upgrade pre-installed package.
    * Attempting to install preinstalled app on top of another application that shares same package UID.
    * Upgrade package is not trusted to upgrade its base package.
    * Augmentation package (SP type) is using same package name used by base package.
    * Installation package is attempting to overwrite orphave binary and security policy doesn't allow it.

I just want to know if there is a workaround for this to work on 3.0. Is there a way to know if any previous version of the application is installed on the phone or not before the sis file header is read?

It would be great if this is possible.

Thanks in Advance..

Re: Update sis with different package file name works on 5.0 but not on 3.0

The UID and application name in pkg file had better not been changed.it's a good way that change the application's caption and installation information.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Remember that S60 3rd edition initial release devices happened a long time ago, and they were the first ones dealing with the new installation file format.
    Consider naming the actual device you are using, checking its current firmware, checking if there are updates available for it, testing this issue with 3.1/3.2 devices.

Wizard_hu_,

Sorry for the incomplete information. I'd tested it on N71 with firmware version 4.0642.1.05 and Hardware RM-67 which I checked to be latest.

In the mean time, I checked the same with E71 and the updation worked well.

So, I assume it is a issue with the initial release as I don't have any other 3.0 device to test. Is there a work around for this? Or should I keep the old package name in the sis header file for 3.0?

Thanks in Advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Unfortunately I do not know, I was just dumping my ideas.
    However there is a new one: you can always experiment with the Remote Device Access service, http://www.forum.nokia.com/rda (or "I Want To", "Develop applications", "Access a Nokia device for development or testing"). Probably you will still find S60 3rd noFP devices there, and you can also ask for other ones if necessary (perhaps for particular firmware versions too).