Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Multiline listbox

Hi,

I want to extend the High Level "List" class provided by J2ME to be able to do some custom things like, displaying a multi-line list to start with. Is is possible, if yes how?Some rudimentary code would be excellent to start with.

Please dont suggest creating a low level custom component using Canvas etc. or using LWUIT or any other UI framework.

I want to be able to do it using the high level API with some code to create multiple lines in the single row.
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Regular Contributor

Re: Multiline listbox

As far as I know, this will not work. The high level API typically works with a simple native implementation.
    And you can not access this native implementation, or even change it. You need to use what is there.
    (Multi-line radio buttons where the reason that I have started to use low level canvas UI.)

Regards

Karsten Meier

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mayankkedia View Post
    Hi,
    I want to extend the High Level "List" class provided by J2ME to be able to do some custom things like, displaying a multi-line list to start with. Is is possible, if yes how?Some rudimentary code would be excellent to start with.
    is the bold lines means that the lines in a paragraph kind of thing or what?

As you are saying that you don't wanna use any of the third party API like LWUIT or J2MEPolish so you have the very much bound ways around.Please come with the more details.

Super Contributor

Yes i dont want to use anything 3rd party, LWUIT/J2ME Polish etc. I want to be able to play around with the high level API/CustomItem to achieve this. Essentially my requirement is multiple lines in a list, with different rows have different fonts/colors based on my B Logic.
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Super Contributor

Yes i dont want to use anything 3rd party, LWUIT/J2ME Polish etc. I want to be able to play around with the high level API/CustomItem to achieve this. Essentially my requirement is multiple lines in a list, with different rows have different fonts/colors based on my B Logic.
    Could you please send us some sort of the screenshot for reference.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Super Contributor

Hey Raj,

From a simplistic point of view, it could be something like the screen attached, and then extend on top of it, to have different fonts/colors/no. of lines within a row etc. And all of this on top of the form, i am not interested in using 3rd party components or canvas based drawing of list-box.

P.S. I am trying out some things with customitem, looks promising probably that might be the way to go forward?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Super Contributor

Hey Raj,
    P.S. I am trying out some things with customitem, looks promising probably that might be the way to go forward?
    Hey Mayank,

I guess you should give a try to the CustomItem only..well I wonder if this can be done using the List. Therefore you try to use the CustomItem, it seems to be possible using the same to me.

Why dont you implement this using the Canvas,just draw the Canvas into the cells and just draw the data/text in it.I think this can also be done using the Canvas itself...give a try to this.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Nokia Developer Champion

From a simplistic point of view, it could be something like the screen attached, and then extend on top of it, to have different fonts/colors/no. of lines within a row etc. And all of this on top of the form, i am not interested in using 3rd party components or canvas based drawing of list-box.

Yes, CustomItem is the right way to go forward for this, as you dont want to go with 3rd party UI Libs and Canvas -- CustomItem gives you almost same level of freedom as Canvas and this is very achieveable with it.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh