Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Smile [moved] making .csr file

Actually I want to run my application on my device like N-73 and for that i have to sign my codes from DevCert. For that I had bought Publisher Id from verisign and we got that and installed succesfuly on the same machine from where request is made for Publication Id. After that we had Exported and Imported on another machine. But it is placed on internet explorer->tools->internet option->content->certificate. I want to make .csr for DevCert. But in second step I dont understand what to put in the space of:-
    1)Publisher Id file
    2)Private key file
    There is also an browse option on both field but it can help to fill these options.
    and without filling these options we cant move further.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: making .csr file

Quote Originally Posted by nidhan4u View Post
    Actually I want to run my application on my device like N-73 and for that i have to sign my codes from DevCert.
    That's fine, although you don't always need a DevCert, I trust that you know what you're doing.
    For that I had bought Publisher Id from verisign and we got that and installed succesfuly on the same machine from where request is made for Publication Id.
    Verising is no longer providing the Publisher IDs for Symbian Signed. The certification authority has been changed long time ago (as in many years ago) to be TC TrustCenter ( http://www.trustcenter.de/en/ ). Where have you found this info about using Verisign? Contact Symbian Signed through their support forum and ask whether they can help you still and whether they are able to accept that certificate. If they say no, you may need to by a new one.
    After that we had Exported and Imported on another machine.
    Very good. But why?
    But it is placed on internet explorer->tools->internet option->content->certificate.
    Actually it is placed in a certificate store file on the hard drive but indeed, that's where Internet Explorer lists the certificates it knows and lets the user to operate them.
    I want to make .csr for DevCert. But in second step I dont understand what to put in the space of:-
    1)Publisher Id file
    2)Private key file
    There is also an browse option on both field but it can help to fill these options.
    and without filling these options we cant move further.
    Step two of what? Could you indicate the guide you use as reference so that we talk about the same thing? Are you following this guide? I don't think so, since there step 2 seems to be buy certificate and you did that already, although from the wrong provider. Where is the browse option? Browse what?
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2010-05-08 at 13:24.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: making .csr file

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    That's fine, although you don't always need a DevCert, I trust that you know what you're doing.

Verising is no longer providing the Publisher IDs for Symbian Signed. The certification authority has been changed long time ago (as in many years ago) to be TC TrustCenter ( http://www.trustcenter.de/en/ ). Where have you found this info about using Verisign? Contact Symbian Signed through their support forum and ask whether they can help you still and whether they are able to accept that certificate. If they say no, you may need to by a new one.
    Very good. But why? Actually it is placed in a certificate store file on the hard drive but indeed, that's where Internet Explorer lists the certificates it knows and lets the user to operate them.
    Step two of what? Could you indicate the guide you use as reference so that we talk about the same thing? Are you following this guide? I don't think so, since there step 2 seems to be buy certificate and you did that already, although from the wrong provider. Where is the browse option? Browse what?
    Actually sir I am using "DevCertRequest_2.3.exe" software for requesting for devcert to sign my codes. In this software we have to follow 5 steps. In first step I had just given the name of my application ".pfx" and in 2 nd step i have to provide "publisher id" and "key". now i am not able to cross this step. for this purpose I had downloaded one more software named "Vs_pkcs.zip". Even then i am not able to find the solution.

But now you are saying that verisign's publisher Id will not be used here. then what should i do now. One of my friend has told me about verisign. Please tell me now, what should i do.

Regular Contributor

Very good. But why? Actually it is placed in a certificate store file on the hard drive but indeed, that's where Internet Explorer lists the certificates it knows and lets the user to operate them.
    and i had done exporting in the main computer from where request is made as it is recommended. and i had made .pfx file and afterwards I had taken this .pfx file onto the another computer and imported there again with the use of internet >tools.........

Like I said, you don't have a valid Publisher ID, Verisign is not supported since some time back in 2007.

Once a Publisher ID purchased, it has to be converted to a pair of certificates, known as the *.cer and *.key files, and these certificates will be later used whenever signing something with the Publisher ID is required. The tool with which you can perform this conversion, as well as guidance about how to use it, is available at Publisher ID (Symbian Signed).

Once you have the Publisher ID certificate files, you can move on to using the DevCert request creation tool, where at step one you must provide the name (and location) for the file to be generated (yes, it's weird, but that's how the tool was done), so something like c:\Temp\myfirstdevcert.csr

You can then continue with the next steps, where you will provide the two certificate files when prompted, and at the end you have the nice request file saved in ... c:\Temp\myfirstdevcert.csr

Upload the c:\Temp\myfirstdevcert.csr file to Symbian Singed's site, provide the rest of the needed info, and you will eventualy obtain the Symbian Signed Offline certificate you need. Easy.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

But now you are saying that verisign's publisher Id will not be used here. then what should i do now. One of my friend has told me about verisign. Please tell me now, what should i do.
    I see that you have placed a query on Symbian Signe's forum, so wait for them to answer (probably not before Monday). Meanwhile, practice converting the *.pfx file into *.cer and *.key, you will need to learn to do that anyhow. Then once you have those files, create a *.csr file using the tool.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Like I said, you don't have a valid Publisher ID, Verisign is not supported since some time back in 2007.

Once a Publisher ID purchased, it has to be converted to a pair of certificates, known as the *.cer and *.key files, and these certificates will be later used whenever signing something with the Publisher ID is required. The tool with which you can perform this conversion, as well as guidance about how to use it, is available at Publisher ID (Symbian Signed).

Once you have the Publisher ID certificate files, you can move on to using the DevCert request creation tool, where at step one you must provide the name (and location) for the file to be generated (yes, it's weird, but that's how the tool was done), so something like c:\Temp\myfirstdevcert.csr

You can then continue with the next steps, where you will provide the two certificate files when prompted, and at the end you have the nice request file saved in ... c:\Temp\myfirstdevcert.csr

Upload the c:\Temp\myfirstdevcert.csr file to Symbian Singed's site, provide the rest of the needed info, and you will eventualy obtain the Symbian Signed Offline certificate you need. Easy.

Hello sir,
    I had made two files i.e .cer and .key which is needed for the 2nd step. And through symbiansigned I had uploaded my .cer file and got .csr file. Now please tell me how can i use this .csr file to sign my codes.

Hello sir,
    I had made two files i.e .cer and .key which is needed for the 2nd step. And through symbiansigned I had uploaded my .cer file and got .csr file. Now please tell me how can i use this .csr file to sign my codes.
    The information is provided in the link that was suggested to you already sometime back when you had asked the same query of verisign and trustcenter and received similar answers.
    Here is the link again with step by step of how to get your developers certificate http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...er_certificate

Re: [moved] making .csr file

I think you have this the wrong way: you have uploaded the *.csr file and got back the *.cer

Now, with the *.cer file received from Symbian Signed and with the *.key file you have from the Publisher ID conversion, you are ready to sign applications and install them on device. Whenever you see a reference to Developer Certificate (or DevCert) that's where you use the downloaded *.cer and the *.key file. Whenever you are told to use the Publisher ID, use the converted *.cer and the *.key file.

To sign a sis file, you use Carbide.c++, Qt Creator or signsis.exe

Code:
    signsis.exe unsigned.sis signed.sis cert.cer cert.key
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    The information is provided in the link that was suggested to you already sometime back when you had asked the same query of verisign and trustcenter and received similar answers.
    Here is the link again with step by step of how to get your developers certificate http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...er_certificate
    I had gone through link provided by you.....I had done with all the things except this last step. And this the question which i had hust asked.
    I am not getting this step.

Step 6 - Take the developer certificate into use Use the developer certificate (.cer file) when signing your SIS file with either the MakeSIS tool for Symbian OS pre-9.0 SIS files or SignSIS and CreateSIS for Symbian OS 9.x forward SIS files.

I had gone through link provided by you.....I had done with all the things except this last step. And this the question which i had hust asked.
    I am not getting this step.

Step 6 - Take the developer certificate into use Use the developer certificate (.cer file) when signing your SIS file with either the MakeSIS tool for Symbian OS pre-9.0 SIS files or SignSIS and CreateSIS for Symbian OS 9.x forward SIS files.
    Did you try to click the words like MakeSIS and SignSIS, etc. They have all the info you need in detail.

Regular Contributor

Did you try to click the words like MakeSIS and SignSIS, etc. They have all the info you need in detail.
    I had done all tha steps mention there and tried to install sisx file on my N-73 nokia mobile but it shows this error.
    "certificate error contact the application supplier"

I had done all tha steps mention there and tried to install sisx file on my N-73 nokia mobile but it shows this error.
    "certificate error contact the application supplier"
    Another link which was helpful(already suggested to you in the past few days!) http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...n_supplier..22

Give the exact steps of what you are signing and what you are installing etc.

Regular Contributor

Another link which was helpful(already suggested to you in the past few days!) http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...n_supplier..22

Give the exact steps of what you are signing and what you are installing etc.

We are making sms back up project. Now i want to run this application on my mobile. for that we purchased publisher id and by using this we had make two files 1).cer and 2).key Again by using these two files i had made .cer file and uploaded it on symbiansigned website. From there i donloaded .cer file and attached it with my project and now i want to run it. I also want to show u all the folders of my project, Actually a had attached this project with another project i.e with helloworldbasic. I want to show you all these folders of two project which i had attached. Becuase exe alone cannot run on the mobile ... thats why i had attached with another project.
    Please tell me the method to show you all the folders. Is there any processs so that i can send you printscreen image.
    Please help me.

We are making sms back up project. Now i want to run this application on my mobile. for that we purchased publisher id and by using this we had make two files 1).cer and 2).key Again by using these two files i had made .cer file and uploaded it on symbiansigned website. From there i donloaded .cer file and attached it with my project and now i want to run it. I also want to show u all the folders of my project, Actually a had attached this project with another project i.e with helloworldbasic. I want to show you all these folders of two project which i had attached. Becuase exe alone cannot run on the mobile ... thats why i had attached with another project.
    Please tell me the method to show you all the folders. Is there any processs so that i can send you printscreen image.
    Please help me.
    For red marked, it should be csr file.
    For blue marked, check how to sign sis file in the wiki (Mentioned to you already quite a few times)