Discussion Board

[moved] register my location (coordinate ) using J2ME code

Dear SIR
    i success to see tthe coordinate using GPS but how can i read the coordinate in GSM in J2ME
    Example how can i read the coordinte of base sttattion near of me or any tipe of detect location servecise using mobile phone or J2ME emulator
    regards

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: [moved] register my location (coordinate ) using J2ME code

Dear SIR
    i success to see tthe coordinate using GPS but how can i read the coordinate in GSM in J2ME
    Example how can i read the coordinte of base sttattion near of me or any tipe of detect location servecise using mobile phone or J2ME emulator
    regards
    You try to get the cell-id of the cell tower near your device using system-properties
    ref to FN Wiki:http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._ID_in_Java_ME

Then request any open cell-id database over internet to get the location.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Quote Originally Posted by souhir View Post
    Dear SIR
    regards
    Can you please provide me with the code... bcause i m trying the same but m not getting the co-ordinates automatically but manually showng me the location perfect!!!
    i m using code where i m using QualifiedQuardinates....

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by angelvini210 View Post
    Can you please provide me with the code... bcause i m trying the same but m not getting the co-ordinates automatically but manually showng me the location perfect!!!
    i m using code where i m using QualifiedQuardinates....
    On which device are you trying this, what do you mean by "manually showng me the location perfect!" is it the cell info ?
    If you want to capture cell info refer to- http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...a_ME_using_CBS
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    On which device are you trying this, what do you mean by "manually showng me the location perfect!" is it the cell info ?
    If you want to capture cell info refer to- http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...a_ME_using_CBS
    I am developing a app where i want to retrieve my current position i.e coordinates(lat-long) and display map of that location. i am using Nokia S40 emulator... 6260 slide to test. I am using code to automatically retrieve my current location but i am not getting the correct coordinates and it displays map of nigeria. when i manually insert co-ordinates in my code i am getting exact location on map, what will be the solution for this or i will be thankfull if you provide me with code to retrieve Coordinates automatically using GPS. I even have an idea that as emulator does not have any GPS chip in it so wat should i do test the code to check whether i am getting my current location.

I am stuck here since a month. Plzzz guide me what should i prefer.
    Thanks in Advance.
    VINITA!!!

Nokia Developer Champion

As emulator does not have any GPS chip.... you cannot test your app on it.
    You will need to test app on the real device only - which has in built GPS, and before testing your app - go out in open to sky area, try running google maps or Nokia maps / drive and see if it is getting the correct location coordinates - if then - try your app.

For code example see this - http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...esult_on_a_Map
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Okay...., Thank You Sir!! I will try This code

Super Contributor

Incase you missed - New Series 40 emulators have the feature of Route Editor (Emulator > Tools > Route Editor) that could be used to "emulate" the Location based apps.

Regards
    Gopal

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    As emulator does not have any GPS chip.... you cannot test your app on it.
    You will need to test app on the real device only - which has in built GPS, and before testing your app - go out in open to sky area, try running google maps or Nokia maps / drive and see if it is getting the correct location coordinates - if then - try your app.

For code example see this - http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...esult_on_a_Map
    I can now retrieve my coordinates automatically....
    now i need to create a server where i can register user and store a list of contacts., and as i need to track my friend i will ask for his/her coordinates so that will be provided me by the server... i have tried creating a server using google app engine but the server is not getting created.
    Can u plzz suggest any solution for this!!!

Thanks
    Vinita!!!

First of all: Not very many Nokia Series 40 do have GPS built-in. Therefore, I recommend to test your MIDlet with as many platforms as possible, for example Symbian and its various versions. Samsung does support GPS in some, few devices as well. Again, test those.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelvini210 View Post
    i have tried creating a server using google app engine but the server is not getting created.
    That is like: My car is broken. We love to help, however, here in this discussion board we are focusing on Nokia mobile phones. For such a question, I would look out for more specific expertise on GAE, like its Google group …

By the way, this month we had another member of this discussion board, who looks like to do the same thing like you. Perhaps you two guys should partner up and share your knowledge.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-02-03 at 09:53.

In my project, which is a mobile app i need to create a website to register user(create a database) ... is it okay if i create a website in jsp? I tried to create a server using GAE and Glassfish server but i am not having any idea how to start or to do it!!!

I do not think a Internet discussion board is any help in your state. I recommend to go out and find someone in your vicinity who has experience with web services. For example, go to a university with a computer science faculty and try to find a student who explains the details you need. If you dare to ask someone, this faculties do have public libraries. Start with a general book about web services. Then choose the technology you are comfortable with. Java-Server Pages (JSP) still require a webserver which you have to create as well.

For the start, I recommend to use the Nokia emulator on one PC and an Apache web-server on another PC. If you are not to Apache, go out for an old Mac OS X computer. Version before Mac OS X 10.8 come with a Apache bundled. Then you connect these both computers via one Ethernet cable. Then you install Wireshark and watch the data traffic between the emulator and your server. That Apache comes with PHP.

As you see, there are zillion of ways and I do not know which is the best in your situation. Therefore, ask someone in your vicinity and you can discuss all your requirements in much more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    I do not think a Internet discussion board is any help in your state. I recommend to go out and find someone in your vicinity who has experience with web services. For example, go to a university with a computer science faculty and try to find a student who explains the details you need. If you dare to ask someone, this faculties do have public libraries. Start with a general book about web services. Then choose the technology you are comfortable with. Java-Server Pages (JSP) still require a webserver which you have to create as well.

For the start, I recommend to use the Nokia emulator on one PC and an Apache web-server on another PC. If you are not to Apache, go out for an old Mac OS X computer. Version before Mac OS X 10.8 come with a Apache bundled. Then you connect these both computers via one Ethernet cable. Then you install Wireshark and watch the data traffic between the emulator and your server. That Apache comes with PHP.

As you see, there are zillion of ways and I do not know which is the best in your situation. Therefore, ask someone in your vicinity and you can discuss all your requirements in much more detail.
    okay Sir.... Thanks!!!