Discussion Board

Qt beta SDK installation issues

Hi,

I'm installing the new beta SDK for qt. A couple of complaints:

- Please, give us a version without the source code, it's huge and painfully slow to install. If someone wants the full 9 years with sources included, that should be a separate version.

- Trying to install an unsigned Windows drivers is just plain ugly, pls do proper signing on the USB network interface driver.

- To add insult to injury, the above driver does not install on my Windows 7 machine even though I give it the permission to ro beinstalled (so previous issue was automatically fixed) So seems that I will not be able to connect to any device?

Back with more when I have had time to play with the beast...

Håkan

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Qt beta SDK installation issues

Hi Håkan, welcome back @nokia

Thanks for your comments, all valid of course. I will put them into the lists of suggestions.

Best regards,
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

I had the same issues with unsigned USB driver. The default action on Vista and Windows 7 is not to accept unsigned drivers for security reasons.

Another issue was that in order to debug using Visual Studion 2008 version with the simulator I had to separately go and download debugging libs from MSDN even this said to be one-for-all package. After the installation I had to recompile debug helpers. So if you do remove the source from the package please note that you might not be able to debug.

Even so, I agree that 800MB download is way too big, took ~3h to download with my 3G modem.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

in case you are not interested in the source code or the examples, I strongly suggest to download the online installer. Then you can select the components you are interested in and can only download those. This does reduce the amount of data significantly.

Regarding the driver installation. I am using Windows 7 in 64bit myself and did not experience any troubles with it. Could you please elaborate on the error message you get? Even if the driver is not signed, it should be possible to install it. By the way, the connectivity driver is only needed for Maemo targets, it does not have any impact on developing for Symbian.

Another issue was that in order to debug using Visual Studion 2008 version with the simulator I had to separately go and download debugging libs from MSDN
    What did you need to do this for? We do not provide any debugging symbols for the Qt version, which is due to the fact, that Qt can be handled as a blackbox from an application developer point of view. However, we are considering to add those in the future.
    The compilation of the debugging helpers is required to be done on first run to have the paths set up correctly.

Regular Contributor

I work directly with git repos, just wanted to give this a quick try to see how far it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mkalinow View Post
    Hi,
    Regarding the driver installation. I am using Windows 7 in 64bit myself and did not experience any troubles with it. Could you please elaborate on the error message you get? Even if the driver is not signed, it should be possible to install it. By the way, the connectivity driver is only needed for Maemo targets, it does not have any impact on developing for Symbian.
    Windows 7 allows you to install unsigned drivers, Vista 64bit doesn't without running the in fail safe mode and extra tweaking. I figured I won't be needing that as I don't have Maemo device and never had that issue with S60 devices.

Quote Originally Posted by mkalinow View Post
    What did you need to do this for? We do not provide any debugging symbols for the Qt version, which is due to the fact, that Qt can be handled as a blackbox from an application developer point of view. However, we are considering to add those in the future.
    The compilation of the debugging helpers is required to be done on first run to have the paths set up correctly.
    In order to press debug button from Creator with Visual Studio c++ compiler debug target I had to install it. Otherwise it only let me run (and not debug the app). Nothing to do with Qt libs, just took example app and hit debug. It even says in popup dialog that you need to get and download "Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows". I know, not really libs.. Didn't remember the correct name.
    Last edited by jakoskin; 2010-05-11 at 10:47.

The issue with the USB was two (well three) fold:
    - the installation of the driver is done by a tool that was called (roughly) pinst or something like that (sorry, did not write it down), this app needed UAC permissions to run (installation was done from admin)
    - once I had authorized the above app, the Windows UAC (rightly) screams about installing a non-signed driver (which is no-no in Windows). Yes, you can give permission do install, but still not cool..
    - third issue was that in spite of all the permissions given above the pinst (or something, a command line app with a nasty command line syntax) failed with some unspecified error

The installation continued from this point onwards.. Now, this was for a course where Maemo is used, I have moved to the daaaark side ;-)

ps: Lucian, can you find my other username (this is the one that used to live on pro) and I cannot find the more neutral one :-)?

Quote Originally Posted by hakan.mitts@nokia.com View Post
    ps: Lucian, can you find my other username (this is the one that used to live on pro) and I cannot find the more neutral one :-)?
    Here you go: mitts
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Thanks, this feels better :-)
    But the sdk still needs a wee bit of fixing though :-)

Keep the feedback coming, that's why we have a beta.
    -- Lucian