Discussion Board

Could we have a Guitar Tuner?

Every mobile phone has:
    > microphone
    > LCD screen
    > Frequency "conscious" tones
    > Assorted amount of switches
    > micro processor

The only thing needed to implement a guitar tuner inside a mobile phone would be a little extra software. And there's "room" enough for it.
    And NOKIA would have a winner among the millions of guitar/bass/sitar/banjo/violin/cello (you name it) players around the world.

I use my NOKIA for guitar tuning but i have preprogrammed a sequence of tones and then i tune the guitar "by ear".
    It would be fantastic if someone could develope the software for it, making good use of the equipment (microphone, screen, processor, etc.)

Re: Could we have a Guitar Tuner?

I totally agree. I am very interested in this. I'm thinking of developing it myself. Any help and tips would be appreciated...

/david

Thumbs up Re: Could we have a Guitar Tuner?

Awesome!

I am completely astonished that my suggestion deserved a comment, and such a pleasant one for that matter, more than three years after i wrote it!

celloman, please do, please try to program such a function. I make my life as a musician recording and producing in studio and, the tuner function would be the only reason why a cell phone would be allowed to be turned on in a studio

I also work in a music school with orchestra students and i am sure they all (about 300 in this small town school) would welcome such an addition to the range of tools in a cell phone.

Besides, considering that so much ROM space is wasted with useless functions and gimmicks, an instrument tuner would be absolutely f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c!

Let me know how it turns out and thank's for following on my idea. Unfortunately i don't have the technical know-how to program such a feature.

Original post: April 24, 2003.
    It's now September 2006...
    Any news?
    Developers? Nokia? Anyone?

Nokia Developer Champion

At least two different guitar tuner apps on this list, if you search for "quitar": http://my-symbian.com/s60/software/search.php

Hi!

I am very intereseted as well, to develop such a software! Actually, I was searching the nokia discussions for technical info about this topic when I found this thread!

So anybody having already implemented FFT on mobile devices, please share his experience!

Zoltan

Nokia Developer Moderator

basically you could download the sounds example (s60 symbian C++) and have a look into the tone player part in there. With it you can specify any tone (Hz & time to play) very easily.

yucca

Thanks, but:
    1. I haven't said, but since S60 phones are quite rare yet among the typically not so well-to-do musicians (in Hungary at least), I want to develop a tuner for S40 MIDP 2.0 platform.

2. I think, we are discussing about developping _real_ tuner, e.g. one which detects the pitch of the played tone and says weather it is false or not, and if it is, how to tune the instrument.

Zoltan

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca
    basically you could download the sounds example (s60 symbian C++) and have a look into the tone player part in there. With it you can specify any tone (Hz & time to play) very easily.

yucca

Still, no model available with included instrument tuner.
    What a waste of electronic resources!

Not to mention: what a waste of potential customers

Basicallt it is impossible and impractical to include all special use applications as default applications, thus there will be always applications that you need to purchase separately from3rd party developers.

yucca

I don't think it is really usefull to pop up really old threads up, so next time try checking the date of the last message before adding answers to any threads.

Still i believe it was a kind move on the part of our forum colleague z22.
    It means the subject is alive and, 5 years later, the topic is still up-to-date.
    Glad to know that there are some devlopers working on the idea.
    Thankyou for posting z22!

Good day everyone. I'm currently developing for my thesis a mobile guitar tuner and my target platform is the Series 40 5th Edition Feature Pack 1 SDK. Hope I can finish it by October.
    I'm still finishing the play a tune part where I just mimic the sound of a guitar string through a mobile phone so by the time i'm done with it, I'll proceed to a chromatic tuner. ^^,

Hope I can help soon about this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kazejohns View Post

Hope I can help soon about this thread.
    Yep never too late, though this was originally opened over 7 years ago.. Anyway, if you find out some nice stuff that you think would be halpfull for other, do remember to write Wiki articles about it.