Discussion Board

Special requirements for financial (e.g. stock trading) apps

Dear all,

Does OVI store set any special requirements for applicatios dealing with real financial instruments? I am asking because we are about to port our stock trading app from BlackBerry and BlackBerry does indeed have such special requirements.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Super Contributor

Re: Special requirements for financial (e.g. stock trading) apps

Hi,
    not that I know of any.

What kind of requirements are there on BlackBerry?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Super Contributor

Ovi Store has requirements where applications cannot be published that offer the user a way to purchase additional content through some external system besides the Ovi Store payment mechanism.

E.g., a separate electronic bookstore app, or a separate music store app would not be published. A stock trading application might easily end up rejected for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hi,
    not that I know of any.

What kind of requirements are there on BlackBerry?
    I am not the one who was dealing with BB directly but what I know for sure is that the full version of our stock trading app still has not been cleared by BB testers with the reason given to us being "everything dealing with real money has to pass additional tests". It took so long in fact that we had to create a cut-down version of the app with no real trading capabilities and that was approved by BB just fine.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I can hardly see that type of application as being dependent on the Ovi Store access (while of course it would be a nice thing to have). On Symbian you can easily deploy apps from any web site, all you need is a short URL pointing to the file. And of course, make potential customers aware of your solution.

So while you are welcome to contact Ovi Store and clarify the requirements with them (email to publishtoovi.support@nokia.com ) you should certainly start your porting activities and get the applications in your customer's hands, whether through the store or some other channels.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by judre View Post
    Dear all,

Does OVI store set any special requirements for applicatios dealing with real financial instruments? I am asking because we are about to port our stock trading app from BlackBerry and BlackBerry does indeed have such special requirements.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Hi,
    This is not so much about Ovi store but getting the trading floor to allow transactions and cutting deals.

Back in 1999-2000 when stock market bubbled Ericsson's put a trading application on the phone. People connected and did trades. All was fine until someone lost money on a trade, supposedly sent from phone but not received for 50 minutes to company trading station this was executed at a hugely lower price and the user sued Ericsson is the US courts.

Basically Ericsson's defense was this was only for use on the Swedish stock exchange.

The user was in trouble because the trading company got out of paying by saying this was not an approved device and showed a requirement for all device PDA software to be tested using US Securities and Exchange approved QA suppliers.

So thats probably why Blackberry is trying to "bury" the idea

My feeling is that 10 years on things have improved, but trade execution could still be a problem.
    By the way which data stream will you be using level 1 or level 2 to cut the deal because 20 minute delayed in useless for U.K. LSE and very bad for NASDAQ

Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    I can hardly see that type of application as being dependent on the Ovi Store access (while of course it would be a nice thing to have). On Symbian you can easily deploy apps from any web site, all you need is a short URL pointing to the file. And of course, make potential customers aware of your solution.

So while you are welcome to contact Ovi Store and clarify the requirements with them (email to publishtoovi.support@nokia.com ) you should certainly start your porting activities and get the applications in your customer's hands, whether through the store or some other channels.
    Absolutely, we are porting the app anyway and it will be available to the customers directly from our website as well but Ovi is the place people go to when looking for an app so we need to be present there as well

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmour1 View Post
    So thats probably why Blackberry is trying to "bury" the idea
    That may be the case indeed, thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmour1 View Post
    By the way which data stream will you be using level 1 or level 2 to cut the deal because 20 minute delayed in useless for U.K. LSE and very bad for NASDAQ
    We have our own real-time datafeeds and that's what the paying customers get. 20 minutes delayed data is what we giving the users of demo versions.