Discussion Board

Which kind of connection or SIM is needed for HTTP request response type of midlet?

Hi Everyone,

I have developed a a very simple midlet which will communicate with the server through HTTP Request-Response. I have installed the application on to the device. Now I want to buy a SIM card.

I want information or links providing information regarding the type of SIM required to execute above mentioned midlet.
    1. Can any SIM be able to work?
    2. Or Will I need a SIM with internet connection? If yes, which type of connection should be supported by the SIM?
    3. Or any SIM will work, but I have to activate any internet plan?

I am very new to mobile development and this is very first application, and first post in the Nokia forum. Please guide me.

Best Regards.

Super Contributor

Re: Which kind of connection or SIM is needed for HTTP request response type of midle

Any SIM for which you have from the network operator (carrier) a subscription/plan/contract that allows packet data access. Note that different operators charge different for data; best is to try to find one with a fixed monthly price regardless of how much data you send or receive.

Re: Which kind of connection or SIM is needed for HTTP request response type of midle

Thanks petrib, I have a SIM without any internet plan or GPRS. So I think, it will not work. right? To execute HTTP based midlet, will I need internet access on my mobile device?
    Or just a simple SIM without internet will work? I mean, I am not getting it technically, what to ask for?
    Packet Data Access - is it comes with a special kind of SIM?
    Thanks for additional information, I will go for unlimited monthly plan.
    Best Regards.

Super Contributor

Correct. A SIM without any internet/GPRS plans will not work, if you need to execute HTTP requests.

Thanks a lot petrib. I'll ask for SIM with an activated internet.

One more question, after inserting SIM with an activated internet, and starting my application, will it connect with the server when my line in the application code which sends request to connect with the server? I mean, other than just inserting the SIM with internet, what are the things should I do?

Like, do I need to start the internet before starting the application every time? Or will it be done by the application itself. Thanks and Best Regards.