Discussion Board

Thread: eSWT

Regular Contributor

eSWT

Hi,

I develop software with J2ME (java not C++)...

I have used the lcdui widgets. This ui system is not good for me, because we can't control the position, the aspect of widgets... I try to use the canvas widget to define my own ui... Possible but long because many code has to been wrote (combobox, orientation of the screen)...

I try LWUIT which is very interesting but slow on small device like N73 (200 MHz)...

I see that the J2ME Polish seems to be good but not completely free... I don't have any idea about the stability and the performance...

I will be interested to have advice about eSWT. It is very easy to find documentation about LCDUI, LWUIT but more difficult about eSWT... Do you know good links about eSWT (introduction, reference) ? Do you have an idea about stability and performance about eSWT on Nokia ?

Is eSWT more speed than LWUIT ?

I think Java is a good platform, more easy to learn than C++; it will be wellknown nevertheless to have a good ui library on J2ME... An idea ?

Thanks
    Last edited by frasene; 2010-05-16 at 09:21.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: eSWT

Hello frasene,

Forum Nokia has got Java Developer's Library which includes the following developer resources on eSWT API:

-Developer's Guides: Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Developer's Guides > UI and graphics > eSWT

-Implementation Notes: Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Implementation notes > eSWT API

-Examples:

Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Source codes for examples > eSWT Showcase

Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Source codes for examples > eSWT - MovieBooking

Furthermore, Forum Nokia Wiki includes several code examples on eSWT API:

Forum Nokia Wiki > Category:Java

All Nokia's Symbian devices starting from S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 support eSWT API. All Nokia's devices which support eSWT API can be found from here.

As said, eSWT API is supported starting from S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 and the following devices. In case you do not have such a device at hand for testing, you could try Forum Nokia's Remote Device Access service which main page is here.

Remote Device Access (RDA) is a service that allows developers to test their mobile applications and services remotely on various Nokia devices based on Symbian and Maemo OS. The main features of the service are remote controlling a device, installing and running applications, transferring files, and analyzing log files in real-time. RDA is an Internet-based solution and the basic requirements for using the service are a Forum Nokia user account, a standard Web browser, and Java Web Start (comes typically with JRE; version 5.0 or newer is required). Usage is free of charge for all Forum Nokia members.

Regards,
    r2j7
    Last edited by r2j7; 2010-05-16 at 11:44.
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot for the links, the explanation of RDA,... The eSWT samples are very interesting...

I have tested the RDA possibility... It is, of course, a very good initiative with, moreover, the possibility to record (video) the use of the phone (for demos)... I will be pleased when the sound will be added...

Thanks.
    Last edited by frasene; 2010-05-17 at 15:05.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

How to make an first eSWT project ? Can I use Netbeans or Eclipse is mandatory ?

If I use Galileo (Eclipse), I installed the MTJ plugin the S60 FP3 SDK. But how to link to the project the eSWT library and where to download it ?

How to set up an environment developement for eSWT midlet ? Is a link exist ?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

If you are using S60 3rd Ed FP2 or a later SDK both NetBeans and MTJ will populate the buildpath with eSWT library, you do not need to do anything special.

In MTJ, there is a new midlet template wizard that also includes an eSWT hello world template. Also MTK provides code assist templates for eSWT components.

Regular Contributor

Hi

I have installed the Nokia SDK 5ed (with Active PERL) and Netbeans 6.8 on Windows XP SP3.

I have added in the Java platform (Netbeans) the existing emulators of the S60 directory (automatic search).

Now my IDE can recognize and compile eSWT code. The <fix import> command is ok too.

But when I run the S60 emulator with a Netbeans S60 project, there is a window (not the emulator) with a message "connect to agent". But the emulator never appears.

I have selected "S60 emulator" (not "S60 device").

I have a firewall (ZoneAlarm) and I accept definitively all the access requests.

Do you have an idea ? Is the firewall must be stopped ?

I have the same problem with the last Eclipse Pulsar... Anomaly Windows Report is displayed from DebugAgent.exe.

Thanks
    Last edited by frasene; 2010-07-10 at 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by r2j7 View Post
    Hello frasene,

Forum Nokia has got Java Developer's Library which includes the following developer resources on eSWT API:

-Developer's Guides: Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Developer's Guides > UI and graphics > eSWT

-Implementation Notes: Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Implementation notes > eSWT API

-Examples:

Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Source codes for examples > eSWT Showcase

Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Source codes for examples > eSWT - MovieBooking

Furthermore, Forum Nokia Wiki includes several code examples on eSWT API:

Forum Nokia Wiki > Category:Java

All Nokia's Symbian devices starting from S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 support eSWT API. All Nokia's devices which support eSWT API can be found from here.

As said, eSWT API is supported starting from S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 and the following devices. In case you do not have such a device at hand for testing, you could try Forum Nokia's Remote Device Access service which main page is here.

Remote Device Access (RDA) is a service that allows developers to test their mobile applications and services remotely on various Nokia devices based on Symbian and Maemo OS. The main features of the service are remote controlling a device, installing and running applications, transferring files, and analyzing log files in real-time. RDA is an Internet-based solution and the basic requirements for using the service are a Forum Nokia user account, a standard Web browser, and Java Web Start (comes typically with JRE; version 5.0 or newer is required). Usage is free of charge for all Forum Nokia members.

Regards,
    r2j7
    Hello Friends,
    Anyone have eSWT Library if yes then please send me...

nyerunkar@gmail.com

Its Urgent ,,,Thanks in Advance ....
    thanks & Regards.
    Nilesh

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nyerunkar View Post
    Hello Friends,
    Anyone have eSWT Library if yes then please send me...

nyerunkar@gmail.com

Its Urgent ,,,Thanks in Advance ....
    There is no need to quote too big area, this is a simple question and you should have asked to as a simple post.
    Anyways, you can download the same from the web.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

I did Not getting.....
    thanks & Regards.
    Nilesh