Discussion Board

The difference between symbian^3 pdt and nokia symbian^3 sdk V0.8

There are more classes (for example RMmCustomAPI)in Symbian^3 Product Developer Library,but there is less class (no RMmCustomAPI) in nokia symbian^3 sdk 0.8
    what is difference between them
    if i want to develop the application in symbian^3 on nokia handset
    which i shoud to use ,can i use Symbian^3 Product Developer Library(RMmCustomAPI)

please help me thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: The difference between symbian^3 pdt and nokia symbian^3 sdk V0.8

In this context "product development" means that you are building your own mobile phone. "Software development" means that you are developing software for existing (or will be existing) devices.
    You can still use the PDK with care, just currently you can not really check how the given API will work on the devices.

Wizard_hu_ is right, you can use the PDK to the extent you test and trust the APIs you use. The official recommendation for application developers is to make use of the SDK APIs only, none of the others are guaranteed to work in the future.

If you need a certain API which is not part of the SDK, make sure to let the Symbian Foundation know about this, so that the API is reclassified or a new SDK level API is being created. Simply using the API from PDK doesn't solve anything.

P.S. Here's an example why using PDK APIs is a bad idea: http://developer.symbian.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=6248
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2010-05-16 at 22:09.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

thank wizard_hu_ and ltomuta
    i want to development a programme to get GSM/UMTS radio network data
    for example rxlev bsic Ec/Io etc
    Thers is no public API in S60v3 v5
    in symbian^3 Product Developer Library document, i find these data can get from RMmCustomAPI class
    but there is no RMmCustomAPI class in nokia symbian^3 sdk V0.8

so my question is
    is it possible to use RMmCustomAPI in special symbian 3 device(nokia n8)
    how to do it
    what it means Licensee TSY (Telephony Server Plug-ins) ,
    need more fee
    thanks

The APIs offered by Symbian are classified as public (part of the SDK) and platform (part of the platform, but not [yet] fit for application developers to use and thus not made available in the SDK). The API you need is a platform API.

Yes, you can use the API if you find that it works, but there are no guarantees that it will work the same way in the future as well, or that all the manufacturers provide a compatible implementation. So, if your business case depends on it you better think twice and have a chat with the package owner about its future. Have a look also at what internal customers the API has in the platform and make sure you test it fully.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite