Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

the relationship between Qt and Carbide C++

hi everyone,
    I'm a newbee of symbian
    I have a question about the relationship between Qt and Carbide C++. Both of them can generate project which can be downloaded to symbian mobile. Then which one should I choose when I try to develop an application?
    Now I use Carbide C++, how ever, I do not know the "main()" function of the project. I don't know the running consequence of different functions. Anyone can give me a recommendation book/website of these concepts?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: the relationship between Qt and Carbide C++

The choice of choosing an platform for application development depends on your need, like what you want to develop and if you want to learn more on Symbian OS try with this FN Symbian OS workbook.

Apart from this do have a look at the forum nokia wiki which has a lot of information for the beginners.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by azureskyi16 View Post
    hi everyone,
    I'm a newbee of symbian
    I have a question about the relationship between Qt and Carbide C++. Both of them can generate project which can be downloaded to symbian mobile. Then which one should I choose when I try to develop an application?
    Now I use Carbide C++, how ever, I do not know the "main()" function of the project. I don't know the running consequence of different functions. Anyone can give me a recommendation book/website of these concepts?
    I believe when you say QT and Carbide C++, guess you are referring to QT creator and Carbide.c++. Well, both are IDEs and IDE choice is pretty open. Regarding your query on books, website: Well, there are tons, for starters, you could check a list that I had compiled for some other poster http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...57&postcount=2

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by azureskyi16 View Post
    hi everyone,
    I'm a newbee of symbian
    Qt is the name of a cross-platform C++ UI and application framework. Carbide.c++ is the name of an IDE. Relationship between them? The IDE knows how to build projects which are using the application and UI framework, and which are defined using a Qt specific format.

If you're thinking about Symbian C++, the Symbian specific programming language, then the relationship with Qt is stronger, as Qt's Symbian implementation is created using Symbian C++.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite