Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Unhappy [moved] Sony Ericsson S60 5th

I find out on the Sony Ericsson' website that U_1, U5i and U8i are all use Symbian s60 5th OS, but I wonder if the softwares developed under Nokia S60 5th SDK by Carbide could be compatible on those Sony Ericsson's phones?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Sony Ericsson S60 5th

There is no Nokia S60 5th Edition SDK, there's just S60 5th Edition SDK (aka Symbian^1 SDK), and that SDK is compatible with all S60 devices which are based on that platform release, regardless of the manufacturer.

The only Nokia branded SDKs are the Nokia N97 SDK which is indeed to be used with that particular device only (and related ones if you know what you're doing) and, recently released, Nokia Qt SDK.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Re: Sony Ericsson S60 5th

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    There is no Nokia S60 5th Edition SDK, there's just S60 5th Edition SDK (aka Symbian^1 SDK), and that SDK is compatible with all S60 devices which are based on that platform release, regardless of the manufacturer.

The only Nokia branded SDKs are the Nokia N97 SDK which is indeed to be used with that particular device only (and related ones if you know what you're doing) and, recently released, Nokia Qt SDK.
    Thanks, what I mean actually is that: when we use S60 2nd/3th SDK to develop prgorams, we may use different libraries and methods to write S60 based Nokia program and UIQ based Sony Ericsson program. A program written by the SDK provided by Nokia may need to be rewritten to make it compatible on Sony Ericsson. And I wounder if this situation remains for S60 5th SDK. Because I've developed a program on Nokia 5800, but I don't know whether the program could be compatible on Sony Ericsson's machines which are also with Symbian 5th OS.

Re: [moved] Sony Ericsson S60 5th

Yes, UIQ used to be a totally different thing than S60. But S60 is the same as S60, regardless which manufacturer is using it ;)

Of course there could be still differences, but those should be mainly features which one manufacturer supports or not (use Feature Discovery API to detect them) or additions to the platform APIs, which each manufacturer would have to provide support for (like the Home Screen Publishing API supported by Nokia N97)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Yes, UIQ used to be a totally different thing than S60. But S60 is the same as S60, regardless which manufacturer is using it ;)

Of course there could be still differences, but those should be mainly features which one manufacturer supports or not (use Feature Discovery API to detect them) or additions to the platform APIs, which each manufacturer would have to provide support for (like the Home Screen Publishing API supported by Nokia N97)
    Thanks for your kind answer again. Let me be more clear: according to what you said, the development framework for s60 5th SDK for Symbian and Sony Ericsson devices are the same, only some APIs are supported by different type of devices, right? I need to confirm that one source code could be used for both Symbian and Sony Ericsson devices (Supposing that I only use general APIs), becuase we need to write two different source code in S60 2nd/3rd SDK for running on Symbian and Sony Ericsson devices.

Quote Originally Posted by computerxt View Post
    becuase we need to write two different source code in S60 2nd/3rd SDK for running on Symbian and Sony Ericsson devices.
    It is not "because", because in case of older Symbian OS versions (6-7-8-9.2) there was S60 1st edition and UIQ, then S60 2nd edition and UIQ 2, and finally S60 3rd edition and UIQ 3. They existed in parallel, S60 and UIQ were rather different and totally incompatible on the UI side.
    However now, there is a single S60 5th edition, and no UIQ at all. If we do not count possible malwares and viruses, you get the very same S60 5th edition SDK, regardless of the site where you are downloading it from. And in addition if you happen to download Symbian^1 SDK, that is also the same, just with a new name.

I don't know how to make this more clear than this: Sony Ericsson is not using the UIQ software anymore, it is using S60. For all S60 devices you use the same code line, no need for a separate branch anymore.

Still, you can ask Sony Ericsson's developer support organisation for an official clarification if one is still needed.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

I don't know how to make this more clear than this: Sony Ericsson is not using the UIQ software anymore, it is using S60. For all S60 devices you use the same code line, no need for a separate branch anymore.

Still, you can ask Sony Ericsson's developer support organisation for an official clarification if one is still needed.
    Got it! Thansk so much!

Super Contributor

Not quite; there are subtle differences eg in icon rendering.

So it is advisable to own a SE device also for testing!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post

So it is advisable to own a SE device also for testing!
    Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Tam, your problems caused by use of bitmap icons don't really count. Switch to using SVG and then you will have more, and more interesting, problems ;)
    -- Lucian

Super Contributor

Hi Lucian,
    next time we meet, I owe you a kick for that remark. It is part of the OS after all - reminds me of the players who outlaw some weapons in FPS games.

Jokes aside: SE IS aware of the issue, and are working on it. In the meantime, just look here:
    http://tamss60.tamoggemon.com/2010/0...-official-fix/

Tam

P.S. I wonder when TamsS60 will become an "official Forum Nokia FAQ channel" ;)
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

;)

For now TamsS60 is an AQ channel, let's see how F it is used and if it does indeed put the F in FAQ ;)
    -- Lucian

Super Contributor

Hi Lucian,
    you mean f##ed?

;)

Tam
    My other blogs: