Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Data Connectivity with J2ME

Hey guys,

I'm developing a J2ME MIDlet for a Nokia S40 device.
    I have a PC server which is running a db engine that contains records of people (name, birthday, id number, height, weight and gender).
    The phone stores these records as Person objects in its RMS. I'm looking for a way to be able to sync the local phone database remotely from the server - I need the phone to get an update of all the records the server had when the MIDlet starts and when it closes I need the MIDlet to send all the updates that were made to the server.
    I developed a class which connects, sends and received data over TCP/IP. My MIDlet is signed and I have my server side running.
    In what way do you recommend me to to these updates in terms of communication protocols? Is there a way to serialize + compress data and then getting the byte array of the result? In that way I can just send and receive the data from the server and decompress + deserialize - unless you can think of a better way.

Thanks!!

Super Contributor

Re: Data Connectivity with J2ME

Hello

I need the phone to get an update of all the records the server had when the MIDlet starts and when it closes I need the MIDlet to send all the updates that were made to the server.
    At the time of the starting of the application you can hit the server and can fetch the data from the server and let the client use the same.As soon as user does some updations to the data and wanna close the app, at the same time you can send the updated contacts/data to the server and not the complete data.

You can use the WEB Service API in order to read/write the data from/to the server.I hope this make some sense to you.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,