Discussion Board

Debugging PyS60 extensions

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to compile PySide QtCore as an extension for PyS60. Well, it compiles and links nicely with GCCE 4.4.1, but for some reason crashes (the scriptshell) when i try to load it on my cellphone. I can't compile it on winscw and just try it on the emulator because of some linking errors i just can't get rid of. It looks like the linker doesn't find the qt symbols from the QtCore.dll.

Now, is there any way to debug the extension dll directly on my cellphone? Is there some log file that has the information of what went wrong ? It seems like the extension initializer function isn't even getting called.
    Last edited by Turatzuro; 2010-05-19 at 11:17.

Super Contributor

Re: Debugging PyS60 extensions

Quote Originally Posted by Turatzuro View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to compile PySide QtCore as an extension for PyS60. Well, it compiles and links nicely with GCCE 4.4.1, but for some reason crashes (the scriptshell) when i try to load it on my cellphone. I can't compile it on winscw and just try it on the emulator because of some linking errors i just can't get rid of. It looks like the linker doesn't find the qt symbols from the QtCore.dll.

Now, is there any way to debug the extension dll directly on my cellphone? Is there some log file that has the information of what went wrong ? It seems like the extension initializer function isn't even getting called.

Hi Turatzuro,

You mentioned "some linking errors i just can't get rid of.",please if you still can reproduce and get those messages,please post them here. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Hi Marko,

here you go:
    http://users.jyu.fi/~tutavirt/qtcore/linker.txt
    http://users.jyu.fi/~tutavirt/qtcore/mmp.txt

The source isn't quite the same anymore, but the linker errors are Seems to me that it just can't find the symbols from QtCore.lib (.dll).
    Last edited by Turatzuro; 2010-05-24 at 13:29.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Turatzuro View Post
    Hi Marko,

here you go:
    http://users.jyu.fi/~tutavirt/qtcore/linker.txt
    http://users.jyu.fi/~tutavirt/qtcore/mmp.txt

The source isn't quite the same anymore, but the linker errors are Seems to me that it just can't find the symbols from QtCore.lib (.dll).
    Although I can not help so much, how about to publish this question in Qt for Symbian forum as well ?

Hi Turatzuro,
    Did you get this working?
    I'd love to put together a recipe and some test binaries to play with on the Symbian Foundation wiki.
    Regards
    Hamish

Same here, I'd love to know if you have made any progress. It would make Python scripting so much easier to test on if pyside/qt was available.

Uh-oh, didn't notice these questions here since i've been on vacation. Sorry about waking up the dead thread, but i'll just quickly reply to this

So the answer is No, i didn't get it to work, not properly. I did get QtCore to compile, but there was something preventing it from loading, and there was no way i could debug the extension properly. In the end i just gave up and started using C++ / QtCreator. I still have the source, and the idea of pyside on s60 is still haunting me on the back of my brain, so i might try to do something about it later on when i have more time. It's just so very hard to give up on a programming project :P
    Last edited by Turatzuro; 2010-08-29 at 19:53.

Hi,

Just to let you know that some months ago I started playing on this same thing. My progress was described here: http://developer.symbian.org/forum/s...ad.php?p=30020 (note that as most know the Symbian forums will be shutdown any time soon, so I'll transfer the discussions to a thread here). I'm now back on this "toy project", so expect some updates soon