Discussion Board

Thread: S60 and N70

Wink S60 and N70

Hello guys!
    I'am using two N70 and I want to create a program that could send and receive SMS using PC, either from the first mobile or the 2nd using USB cable as connector via COMPORT. I know AT command AT+CMGL or CMGR is not supported in S60, so how will I do it. By the way am using carbideC++ and eclipse. And if you have a sample code can you please send me.

Thanks in advance

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 and N70

It is not sure, but the SDK may already contain some sms (or 'messaging') example in the S60Ex folder. Note that you will need S60 2nd ed. FP3 SDK, which is available in the archive section of Tools. If you are already there, also download Carbide.c++ 1.2, since the most recent versions do not support S60 2nd edition SDK-s.
    USB stuff is an other story, search for USB in the Wiki, but it is absolutely not sure that the results will work on the N70.

Yes i already have S60 2nd FP3 installed, i can even run the sample program successfully using emulator but how can i make it through my N70. By the way i'm using carbideC++ 2.3, so do you mean i need to replace this with ver1.2?

Thanks for your reply.

You do not necessarily need the older Carbide, just the new ones will not be able to create new S60 2nd edition projects, which can be uncomfortable.
    For creating an installer file, you have to build the project for a device target (thumb or armi), then makesis can create the .sis file (using the .pkg file in the sis folder of the given example). You can do this either from the command line, or you can also try configuring the SIS Builder of Carbide (Project/Properties, Carbide.c++/Build Configurations, SIS Builder - switch to Thumb target first). Signing is not necessary for S60 2nd edition (probably it would not succeed).

Smile Re: S60 and N70

Ya maybe that's the reason why after transferring the sis file from my PC to N70 and installing it I get this "File Corrupt Error!". I'll try carbide1.2 since this version is compatible with my model of N70.

Thanks wizard_hu_

For this particular issue you can try invoking makesis from a cmd window. Just issue "makesis HelloWorldBasic.pkg" in the S60Ex\HelloWorldBasic\sis folder. Or with some other example.

Unhappy Re: S60 and N70

ooh oh! Got an error.
    "Makesis is not supported in this release. Please use a different device."
    My default - device is s60_2nd_FP3:nokia_series60

That is bad news, something may be wrong with your configuration (are you happen to use Vista or Windows 7?).
    However that message is produced by the 'stub' residing in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\tools". The 'real' makesis will probably work, just call it directly, something like c:\Symbian\8.xyz\S60_2nd_FP3\epoc32\tools\makesis.exe (of course check the real name, xyz is certainly not xyz, but a number with/without a letter, and S60 might be Series60, etc.). The tool should be able to work on its own, so copying it next to the .pkg file can also help.

By the way Carbide 1.2 is beta version how can I get a full version? When I start Carbide it shows this message all the time:

Carbide uses a licensing technology called FLEXnet. The FLEXnet tool has detected a problem with your license. Please contact license.carbide@nokia.com for assistance...

What should I do?

Yes, Carbide.c++ 1.2 was a commercial software, and it still comes with trial license. Consider writing to that e-mail address (to be honest I do not know what kind of answer you will get, but hopefully you will get something).

Hello!
    i need download link for Carbide.c++ 1.2, i've searched but could not find...
    if any one have then share plzzz.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by NicePerson View Post
    Hello!
    i need download link for Carbide.c++ 1.2, i've searched but could not find...
    if any one have then share plzzz.
    Why do you need an ancient Carbide.c++ version? Download the latest and use the appropriate S60 C++ SDK with it.