Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Bouncy Castle RSA Decryption

Hi,

I am using Bouncy Castle for Encryption and Decryption, for the same I want to use RSA algorithm, the encryption code is ok, but it i try out RSA decryption on the mobile client itself, i am getting errors.

Has anyone had success with both RSA encryption and decryption happening on the J2ME mobile device?
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Super Contributor

Re: Bouncy Castle RSA Decryption

For anyone to be able to help, please include more information about the errors you got.

Hartti

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    For anyone to be able to help, please include more information about the errors you got.

Hartti
    It says BCPro not available, seems like that's the JAR where the decryption classes for RSA are kept.

Anyways my primary question is whether anyone has had success with both encryption-decryption using RSA on the J2ME client side(read not. only encryption at client and decryption at server), coz if someone has done it, it means its doable.
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Bouncy Castle RSA Decryption

Quote Originally Posted by mayankkedia View Post
    Hi,

I am using Bouncy Castle for Encryption and Decryption, for the same I want to use RSA algorithm, the encryption code is ok, but it i try out RSA decryption on the mobile client itself, i am getting errors.

Has anyone had success with both RSA encryption and decryption happening on the J2ME mobile device?
    Well, I would like to tell you that the I had not seen RSA implementation as a whole as a success.
    I would like to recommend that This URL of Bouncy-Castle's RSA contains the total information about the advantages and disadvantages of the BC using with the RSA, Kindly go through this one and you will definitely move towards the next paragraph written below.

I would like to share with you that if you are working with the CLDC 1.1 then please move towards the JSR 177, Security and Trust Services API for J2ME.

This specification will provide J2ME applications with APIs for security and trust services through the integration of a Security Element. Please be aware the CDC 1.0 specification initially related to this JSR has been replace (superseded) with the newer CDC 1.1 specification. CDC 1.0 will no longer be supported after 18-Aug-2009. This JSR and other optional technologies based on the CDC 1.0 standards are fully compatible with the CDC 1.1 standards. All development and certification efforts should be updated to use the current, supported technology.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Super Contributor

Hey Raj.

Thanks for that information. Issue is all my server side interfaces/infrastructure is already written and working on other platforms, and it uses BC for crypto requirements. Writing JSR-177, native crypto for J2ME/BB would mean I end up writing the same logic on the server for it to understand the encrypted data I send to it.

My requirements are two-fold:-

1.Use RSA to store-retrieve data from the client database.
    2.Encrypt data on RSA using server generated crypt keys and send it over the wire and server will decrypt.

The 2nd part would work even if RSA decrypt on the client side doesnt work. But its my first requirement which gets defeated.

Worst case is to use some other algo like AES/Digest etc. for requirement 1 and just do RSA encrypt on client for req. 2, but I am hoping i can handle both 1 & 2 with RSA only.
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Super Contributor

Yes I understand the requirement.Well that was my experience with the RSA, may be someone here in the globe has used the RSA implementation, however I will suggest that this implementation of the SATSA is not a big thing. You can do this within a short span of time.As you can found the more information about the implementation of the SATSA Here.

This can be simply implemented, and hence can get rid of you from the very much issues.Well I am not a experienced person of using the RSA so I am leaving you for the an expert who can lead you in RSA.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,