Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia device firmware bug failed app in QA

Ciao,

here is a new scenario to have an application failing OVI QA.
    I got an email about an application failing QA because on certain devices with specific firmwares the application close itself. This is clearly a Nokia device firmware bug since we just open the browser with a soft key with Flash Lite.

So would be nice to have the list of specific device firmwares in the device distribution so that we can still distribute the application but omit the specific firmware, or maybe QA can do that.

Also the devices that failed are some of the most common and new with the OVI Store:
    • Nokia 5130 XpressMusic Firmware 06.94 -- the application closes unexpectedly
    • Nokia 5610 XpressMusic Firmware 06.94 -- device is restarted
    • Nokia 6303i classic Firmware 06.61 -- the application closes unexpectedly
    • Nokia 6700 Classic Firmware 07.60 -- the application closes unexpectedly
    • Nokia X3 Firmware 03.60 -- the application closes unexpectedly

Currently I opt out these devices from distribution which is not the best choice to me.
    It's becoming a roller coaster trying to pass QA!!!

Alessandro

Re: Nokia device firmware bug failed app in QA

We have a similar problem, our application failed QA due to not being able to be installed on E: drive only when certain specific device+firmware combination is used. It works fine on same devices with newer firmware, or when installed on C:.

It is clearly a firmware bug - and a big hurdle since OVI defaults to installing applications to E:. All we can do is warn users.
    Also it is not possible to test application on every firmware combination, and remote testing doesn't even have most of affected firmware versions available for test.

QA FAILED:
    AFFECTED DEVICES: Nokia 5800 Firmware: v20.0.012, RM-356; Nokia 5230 Firmware: v10.0.067, RM-588; Nokia X6 Firmware: v11.0.077, RM-559; Nokia 5330 XpressMusic Firmware: v10.0.050, RM-504; Nokia 5235 Firmware: v12.6.090, RM-588 NOTE: The application works as expected when installed on C: drive.

Big waste of time, especially since the re-submitted application is now more than 10 days in "pending" QA status.

Yep, we got those new messages as well and acted just like biskero described... simply opting out those handsets
    which is stupid but its fastest to publish the rest.
    and i agree this is stupid obviously we cant test on every firmware and we cant filter for firmwares on the distribution matrix so thats stupid....

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,

I received an email back from QA support since I contacted them about the issue. Here is a part of the email.

"..... Because the issue occurred on several devices it is highly unlikely that the issues are related to firmware."

Now since the application is a Flash Lite application, it's impossible that the application creates the issues described by QA and it's 100% a firmware bug. I would have imagine that they have a list of firmware related bugs.

I think it's important to show and allow the support or not for firmware versions in the device list since those devices from which now I opt out the application support are some of the most sold devices in the market.

Alessandro

Super Contributor

Hi,
    even though I am known to be agressive against QA officers, I am on their side here.

No matter whose fault it is: if the app doesnt work, it should not be distributed.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,

who said that it should be distributed? No one wants to distribute an application that does not work.
    The feedback is good from QA, but it's clearly a bug in the Nokia devices firmware and not with the application.

I am saying, given the feedback, I would to remove the issues with the specific firmwares by opting out instead of removing the devices from the distribution.

Alessandro

Super Contributor

Exclamation Re: Nokia device firmware bug failed app in QA

Quote Originally Posted by biskero View Post
    Ciao,

I received an email back from QA support since I contacted them about the issue. Here is a part of the email.

"..... Because the issue occurred on several devices it is highly unlikely that the issues are related to firmware."

Now since the application is a Flash Lite application, it's impossible that the application creates the issues described by QA and it's 100% a firmware bug. I would have imagine that they have a list of firmware related bugs.

I think it's important to show and allow the support or not for firmware versions in the device list since those devices from which now I opt out the application support are some of the most sold devices in the market.

Alessandro
    Hi,
    IMHO the OVI QA have decided to ignore the thread on user discussons labelled
    Re: Restart problem of nokia 5130 xpress music
    I have am facing a restart problem on my nokia 5130 xpress music while playing mp3 files using music player.I have bought this phone jst 5 days ago.The phone Memory card is formatted then i hd checked it using nod32 antivirus.Its is free of viruses.My phone memory is also almost free.22.6 mb is free(used for inbuilt applications - 5MB) still i m facing this problem.I want to know how to solve this problem.many of my frnds are also facing this same problem.
    The problem which has been seen before is that QA use phones which need a firmware upgrade. This is similar to the N95 revision which was so low ie rev 10 that the Ovi Store app would not load.

The result was that the Ovi Store said its the phone firmware thats the problem not the Ovi app store code at fault. There was a blazing row between developers/users and Ovi Store over this. Ovi store app then put a check for firmware on load and asked the user to upgrade the firmware before installing the code, which stopped the arguments.

The evidence in user discussion Re: Restart problem of nokia 5130 xpress music shows the its HIGHLY LIKELY that there are issues related to older versions of firmware

Now this would seem that QA are back to saying its the app's problem. If the app works properly with the latest firmware for the phone then the app should be passed.
    UPDATE:-

The offical Nokia Software update is at European Nokia Software Update Revision

Search the Web page for 5130 or any model number
    Nokia 5130 XpressMusic software version 07.91 released
    This software release brings performance improvements. This software release is available through the Nokia Software Updater.
    The 5610 firmware fix article nokia-5610-v940-firmware

Ovi QA team please update your QA test devices to the latest firmware and re-test

The firmware is in Wiki article is at Nokia Firmware Versions
    This Wiki Article reflect ALL firmware revisions for countries, but not the always the latest for Europe

Jim Gilmour
    Forum Nokia Champion
    Forum Nokia Wiki Global Adminstration Team
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2010-05-23 at 11:32. Reason: links to firmware fixes