Discussion Board

read 6131 emulated card with desktop reader

hey again,

I can now succesfully write and read frrom the internal tag of a 6131 NFC phone (this post).
    The next step is reading the information with a desktop reader. For this i have both the NXP arygon and acr122 reader. I heard that the best way is to use the NXP reader but i can't even read the phone's tag itself with the reader.
    I am trying to use the windows NFC wrapper to read the phone, reading normal 1k tags is no problem but i can't figure out how to read the phone.

Do i have to do something special in order to read the data I wrote into the internal tag (like putting it in emulation mode?) or is the problem on the desktop application.
    Can anyone give me some information about the possibilities i have or redirect me to information/examples or something plz.

Re: read 6131 emulated card with desktop reader

Hallo,

Quote Originally Posted by joery_vn View Post
    The next step is reading the information with a desktop reader. For this i have both the NXP arygon and acr122 reader.
    Arygon reader is not NXP reader (i.e. Pegoda, Joiner, Tama, ...) But both, the Arygon and the ACR122, are based on chips from NXP.

I am trying to use the windows NFC wrapper to read the phone, reading normal 1k tags is no problem but i can't figure out how to read the phone.
    What "NFC wrapper" are you using?

Do i have to do something special in order to read the data I wrote into the internal tag (like putting it in emulation mode?) or is the problem on the desktop application.
    Card emulation shoud be available at any time (depending on your phone settings the phone might ask you to allow access for secure element transactions).

br,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mroland View Post
    Hallo,
    Arygon reader is not NXP reader (i.e. Pegoda, Joiner, Tama, ...) But both, the Arygon and the ACR122, are based on chips from NXP.

What "NFC wrapper" are you using?
    Card emulation shoud be available at any time (depending on your phone settings the phone might ask you to allow access for secure element transactions).

br,
    Michael
    hey,

To clarify, it is the arygon reader I will most likely be using.
    The wrapper is called ModWinsCard.cs. Basically it can make use of several readers and there is no problem reading MiFare1k tags with either ACR122 or arygon reader using that wrapper.

However reading the card emulation of the mobile phone doesn't seem to work with it. When i try to read it I get 6E00 code.

Joery

Hallo,

[...] there is no problem reading MiFare1k tags with either ACR122 or arygon reader using that wrapper.

However reading the card emulation of the mobile phone doesn't seem to work with it. When i try to read it I get 6E00 code.
    This code means "Class not supported" (ISO 7816 APDU response code). I would suspect that you have established an ISO 14443-4 connection to the phone's contactless chipset instead of the proprietary MIFARE connection.

Compared to a MIFARE Classic (1K, 4K) tag, the phone emulates two card types in one: A processor type card (Java Card) fully supporting ISO 14443-4 (T=CL) and a memory type card (MIFARE 4K) that has a proprietary command set based on ISO 14443-3. The mode is determined during the selection procedure.

br,
    Michael

I have been experimenting with the readers and Nokia 6131. And i found out that the mobile phone's UID and some datablocks can be read by using the omnikey diagnostic tool. No my question is what I am reading out here: is it the emulated card or the java card. I know there are 2 card types in the mobile phone but ain't sure if i named the corrrect 2 here. And how can i write to the space that i am reading with a MIDlet.

Hallo,

I'll try to explain that secure element mystery:

The phone has an antenna, NFC front-end chip (PN512), a secure element (SmartMX) and an application processor (that's where your MIDlet runs)

Code:
    * Application Processor *
         ^
         |
         v
    * NFC Chip * <-----> * Secure Element *
         ^
         |
         v
    * Antenna *
    -> In NFC (i.e. Peer-to-Peer mode) and Reader/Writer mode the data flow is Antenna<->NFC Chip<->Application Processor.
    -> In Card Emulation mode the data flow is Antenna<->NFC Chip<->Secure Element.
    -> In internal mode (i.e. communication between MIDlet and Secure Element) the data flow is Application Processor<->NFC Chip<->Secure Element.

The mode you are trying to use is card emulation mode. The secure element is a smartcard chip from NXP (SmartMX). It emulates both, a JavaCard and a MIFARE Classic 4k card. Thus, the secure element is two cards in one card.

Code:
    * Secure Element (SmartMX) *
    *  MIFARE 4K  *  JavaCard  *
    Yet, to the outside world the SmartMX acts as only one card. This means that when a card reader asks for the presence of contactless cards (REQA command), the SmartMX answers that it is one card with one UID.

In the next step the reader selects this card (SELECT command). In its response to the select command, the card notifies the reader that it supports both, the proprietary MIFARE Classic protocol and the standardized ISO/IEC 14443-4 transmission protocol (APDU based). This is possible as up to the select command (and the answer (SAK) to it respectively) the protocol is the same for both the MIFARE Classic card and the JavaCard.

Now you have to decide (in your reader software) which card type you select.

So to answer your question: The card you see in the Diagnostic Tool is the secure element and thus both, the JavaCard and the MIFARE Classic card. Also you can communicaticate with both "virtual" cards through a MIDlet.

br,
    Michael

Hi joery_vn,

I am also working with card emulation in the past week, and the only difference is i am trying to configure ACR122 as a virtual card 6131 for communicating with the virtual card.But its not get worked. I am a beginner in NFC.If you have any information regarding ACR 122 card emulation please share it.

Thanks and regards
    Anish