Discussion Board

Step into OS source code.

Hi All,

I have a question / issue in carbide.c++ while trying to step into OS Code.

Here is my environment setup:

Carbide.c++ version: 2.5.0
    SDK: Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0 (installed in the default location)

I am working on SyncML and trying to perform sync to my funambol server using a sync profile. When I try to sync, the operation panics and carbide.c++ captures. So far, so good. Now when I go down the stack trace, I see some Nokia/Symbian dll below ekern.exe. I assume this dll causes the panic. I want to know which call / api in the dll causes this panic. For this, I wanted to step into the dll code. But when I click on the dll, I only see one option "View disassembly..." .

I remember, in carbide v1.2, while at similar stage, it used to show two options. 1) "locate source" and 2) "view disassembly...". So where is this option now in current carbide version or how to achieve this?

I am using the UDEB binaries so assume that should not be an issue. Also, I have copied the source under EPOCROOT of the SDK to help carbide locate but seems it doesnt help much.

One workaround could be that I import that specific component, build and then try debugging but this is not convenient. I see that the dll talks to a server and if I want to further debug then I have to import + build the server as well (stepping into server code).

Is there any easy way out? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    BTR Naidu

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Step into OS source code.

Nokia N97 SDK and its DLLs are built from closed source code and enabling debugging on the system DLLs was not a requirement when the SDK was built. I suspect that debug info was stripped out from the DLLs when the SDK was put together.

If you want to debug platform components, give Symbian Foundation's PDK a try.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi Lucian,

To an extent, am convinced with your answer but that raises two more questions -

1) If nokia removed debug symbols from the binaries then why it is still placed under UDEB? Guess they are as equal to UREL?
    2) Is this the case with other older version SDKs as well? I experienced similar problems with FP2.
    ------------------
    Thanks & regards,

BTR Naidu
    Symbian OS Trainer

Yes, it is/was standard practice for the SDK build so all the SDKs are having the same limitation. The libraries are UDEB builds (e.g. they have the logging enabled and debug specific asserts will panic the apps).
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks Lucian.
    ------------------
    Thanks & regards,

BTR Naidu
    Symbian OS Trainer

I have something to ask to you people while I was reading your thread. Is emulator debugging not possible with Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0 SDK ?

Yes, debugging is possible, just as it is will all other SDKs. But you cannot step into OS' code, only into your own application's code.
    -- Lucian