Discussion Board

Question NFC tags memory structure

Hello everyone,

I've read the nfc forum PDF documents which describe the memory structure for the different types of NFC tags
    (ultralight,1,k4 etc..), but I still confused on how to determine the read\write area for each type? I mean from which block address to start and how many block (length),
    please if anyone know or have any simple documentation that may help to share.
    thanx in advanced

Super Contributor

Re: NFC tags memory structure

Hi hrami,

Ok, now it would be also great if you could tell me what programming language you were maybe thinking to
    implement to accomplish your task, what type of work are you on at the moment...? So would you be doing r/w
    with hw/software and so.

P.S.
    In addition to the NFC forum, you might want to have a look at these:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=173351

http://epic.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/pub/H...de_v1_1_en.pdf

And Forum Nokia has a NFC dedicated tools, documentation and examples area here:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technolog...Communication/

Best Regards,
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Hi Maveric,
    Thanx for response ,I'm new on NFC field and my target is to exchange data between NFC reader and Nokia 6212 mobile,
    I've started working on R\W tags as a start point, and Im using FEIG CPR40.30-USB reader and the software is implemented on visual studio 2008 C++ code,
    my problem is that the SDK of the reader is not well documented , so I've used the same code in the sample code to establish a connection and R/W on tags ,but still failed to
    determine the right area of memory (as starting address and number of blocks) to R/W according to tag type, also I can't communicate with the Nokia 6212 (using secure elements Mifare 4k)

Hallo,

for information on the layout of MIFARE smartcards/tags check the manufacturer's (NXP) website: here. But the MIFARE-API on the reader side usually depends on the reader, so there's no way around understanding the reader's documentation/sample code/...

Quote Originally Posted by hrami View Post
    I'm new on NFC field and my target is to exchange data between NFC reader and Nokia 6212 mobile
    Instead of using an RFID reader and the MIFARE card as intermediate data storage, I would suggest that you get an NFC reader that supports NFC's peer-to-peer mode. In that mode you can directly communicate with a MIDlet on the phone.

br,
    Michael

Hello Morland,
    Quote Originally Posted by mroland View Post
    Hallo,
    But the MIFARE-API on the reader side usually depends on the reader, so there's no way around understanding the reader's documentation/sample code/...
    as I've read in NFC Forum that the tag memory structure is standards for all manufacturer,and in the sample code you have to determine the address,number of blocks and block size manually , it's not detected automatically according to tag type!

Quote Originally Posted by mroland View Post
    Instead of using an RFID reader and the MIFARE card as intermediate data storage, I would suggest that you get an NFC reader that supports NFC's peer-to-peer mode. In that mode you can directly communicate with a MIDlet on the phone.
    according to NFC reader, you are right this reader doesn't support the P2P mode, but still it's able to R/W on mifare tag, coz as I understnd that the reader can communicate with the phone throw it's mifare 4k!

if you want I can send you the reader SDK or samples to revise.

thanx 4 ur time

Hallo,

as I've read in NFC Forum that the tag memory structure is standards for all manufacturer,
    Actually, there are four different tag standards:
    • type 1 corresponds to Innovision's Topaz tags,
    • type 2 corresponds to NXP's MIFARE Ultralight,
    • type 3 corresponds to Sony's FeliCa and
    • type 4 can be implemented on any ISO 14443-4 based (i.e. APDU based) technology.

MIFARE Classic (1K, 4K) is a proprietary technology that (due to the proprietary cryptographic algorithm involved) is not standardized as NFC Forum type tag format. Yet, NXP provides instructions on how to place NDEF formatted data onto MIFARE Classic smartcards/tags. The Nokia phones implement these mechanisms to allow MIFARE Classic to be used instead of NFC Forum mandated tag formats.

according to NFC reader, you are right this reader doesn't support the P2P mode, but still it's able to R/W on mifare tag, coz as I understnd that the reader can communicate with the phone throw it's mifare 4k!
    Communicate..yes. In a comfortable way..no. You can use the MIFARE area as a shared memory where one party writes data to it and the other party polls that memory for a certain flag that indicates when new data is ready. This should work fine until the memory is worn out (EEPROM memories usually have a write endurance of about 100000 cycles).

br,
    Michael