Discussion Board

Thread: Dll In J2ME

Regular Contributor

Question Dll In J2ME

Hi All,

I want to know hoe to create a dll for a mobile application in J2ME, is this possible if yes, please guide me through it, if not then please give me an alernative and guide me through it

Regards
    Archana Muralidhar

Super Contributor

Re: Dll In J2ME

Hello, Archana Muralidhar!

Assuming DLLs are Windows proprietary, so creating them "in J2ME" is hardly possible...if this is what you were after...?

Please could you explain more your use case for this, what were you up to by starting to create such 'dll'?

Best Regards,
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello Archana Muralidhar,

If you mean bundling Java class files into a library, then bundling the files into a zipped file should be sufficient. That can be then imported into project from within an IDE as library file.

Please refer to the IDE documentation on how to perform this kind of import.

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Nokia Developer Champion

I want to know hoe to create a dll for a mobile application in J2ME, is this possible if yes, please guide me through it, if not then please give me an alernative and guide me through it
    In J2me me you make JAR's instead of DLL and include in your other projects as external libs and import the classes to use them on your final project.

You can make these JAR files just like you make the JAR of your J2me class files but you should not obfuscate as you will need to call names and public method names to access them from your final project.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Regular Contributor

Ok, but if i dont obfuscate then how will i protect my code

Super Contributor

Can you tell us what you want to achieve? Why do you want to make a "DLL"?

Graham.

Regular Contributor

I wanted to do that, because my company will be creating the functionality and the UI of the application will be done by the other, now we do not want the logic and the packet structures to be seen by the others, now how to i do that...????

Super Contributor

I guess the obfuscation is the only and the better way to do this.You better obfuscate the application at the highest level and check whether this suites to your needs.

I wanted to do that, because my company will be creating the functionality and the UI of the application will be done by the other, now we do not want the logic and the packet structures to be seen by the others, now how to i do that...????
    What do you mean by this above quoted lines?

I guess this is similar to the approach of the most of the companies.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Regular Contributor

Hi Raj,
    Yes that is how all the Companies Work, but the problem here once i obfuscate the Jar that i create that has the entrie logic, they will not be able to access the methods or functions in the code, if i dont then they can unzip the Jar file, now what do i do

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Archana Muralidhar View Post
    Hi Raj,
    Yes that is how all the Companies Work, but the problem here once i obfuscate the Jar that i create that has the entrie logic, they will not be able to access the methods or functions in the code, if i dont then they can unzip the Jar file, now what do i do
    If you will obfuscate the app at the high level then it is really hard to recompile the code and also to make it usable.So as far as the data can be used are the image that you might be putting inside the jar and any other text files.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Archana Muralidhar View Post
    once i obfuscate the Jar that i create that has the entrie logic, they will not be able to access the methods or functions in the code, if i dont then they can unzip the Jar file, now what do i do
    You will need to configure the obfuscator not to modify names of public classes or public class-members. Check the obfuscator documentation for how to do this.

With public names retained, it will be fairly easy to reverse-engineer the code. This is unavoidable.

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Thank you very much