Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Getting useful info from assert

I've looked for the answer to this several times and never found anything: Is there any way to get any sort of useful information as a result of an "assert" failure, either on the emulator or on the hardware? The popup message shows you the name of the application and the first 5 characters of the failing test, which is not a great amount of help. And with all but the C++ exception traps enabled on the emulator, enabling those traps catches nothing. (The C++ trap, of course, catches every 3rd instruction.)

With Qt I can put a stop at qFatal, but I haven't found the equivalent for native assertion failures.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Getting useful info from assert

In this thread I have not really understood what you are asking, so check a possible answer in your RFile-related thread (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=201831)

Super Contributor

Do I understand you correctly: you want to get some data out about the system state when the assert occurs?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Super Contributor

you can use Crash-debugger in case of Symbian.C++ donot know if that applies to Qt For Symbian too.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Do I understand you correctly: you want to get some data out about the system state when the assert occurs?
    A simple traceback would be nice. Symbian has some of the worst diagnostic facilities I've ever seen (and that's saying quite a bit, since I'm including switches and lights).

Super Contributor

Hi,
    in qt you can just use qDebug() and send it to the PC. In native Symbian code, the call is:
    Code:
    RDebug::Print( _L("CSndMixer::Pause") );
    Then run the app tethered on device, and see in the console window of the carbide.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

Super Contributor

That's just another variation of println. I've got my own that works pretty well, and writes to a file on the device so that I don't need device debug to work. Still doesn't do a traceback, though. Heck, even my old Small-c environment did a traceback on abort.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    IMHO, you can get a stack trace on fail only in the WINSCW emulator!

With best regards
    Tam Hanna
    My other blogs:

Super Contributor

And even there it's not a given.

If there's enough info in the stack to do Trap/exception handling, there's enough to produce a traceback. There's no real excuse for not having the function on the hardware too.

The panic breakpoint is somewhere in the middle of euser.dll, or something similar. Since the firmware is built from release code it contains no debug info, and in addition it is not available in the SDK. This is where constructing an usable stack trace begins to be complicated.

Super Contributor

It doesn't have to materialize the method names for the system lib routines (though that would be nice), but having a stack trace that shows where your code called the system lib would be invaluable.

I understand your need, just the CPU stack contains simple numbers, and it is hard to decide which number is a return address to an other method (and to your own code at the end), which number contains "TInt a=5", which number is just a part of a larger class/structure (TSize.iWidth=10), which is a pointer to the heap, which is a pointer which has not been initialized yet (=it contains a random number practically). Numbers are hard to interpret if you do not know their role and type, and in case of RISC architecture (ARM=Advanced RISC Machine) the extended usage of processor registers makes things even harder.

Super Contributor

As I said, if they can do Traps and exceptions and auto object destructors then the information's there.

Super Contributor

(BTW, I worked with RISC processors at the instruction level from 1992 until about a year ago. Implemented both a C++ runtime and a Java runtime, among other things.)

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    As I said, if they can do Traps and exceptions and auto object destructors then the information's there.
    These things are part of the execution, they happen inside your code. On the other hand the debugger is looking at the stack from outside.
    Actually I have not worked with RISC processors, but as far as I know they prefer a register-oriented programming style, so the stack frame for the current method does not necessarily exist at all, half of the registers contain variables for the current method, the other half for the caller methods, something is really on the stack, but even the return address may be in any register - and we are talking about a situation where the debugger has no idea about what it is looking at.