Discussion Board

Question [question] Install java MIDlet with hand

Lets say, I have a java midlet, what is signed by an other phone carrier (X), and I want to install it, but I am at carrier Y. It tells me that it had a Certificate error, and contact the creator. Now lets say, I have access to system files, and folders (full system access). How could I install this MIDlet, without using the installer, by hand, to work? I mean, icon in the menu, midlet runs correctly, and can be detected by other applications (like appmanager).

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: [question] Install java MIDlet with hand

Hello fonix232,

you need to remove the operator X signature from the JAD of your application in order to have it installed on an operator Y device. This is the way since the root cert for operator X signature (which is missing from operator Y device) is the cause of the issue.

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by r2j7 View Post
    Hello fonix232,

you need to remove the operator X signature from the JAD of your application in order to have it installed on an operator Y device. This is the way since the root cert for operator X signature (which is missing from operator Y device) is the cause of the issue.

Regards,
    r2j7

Well, thanks for the fast reply!
    Lets say, I have X operator's certificate (*.der file in a /private/ folder) installed on my phone, and I still get this message. Then what?

Super Contributor

It won't be recognized as an operator signature if it's just sitting in the file system. It needs to be on the SIM card.

The security system is designed to stop you doing exactly what you're trying to do. There is no official means of doing it.

You can remove the signature as r2j7 suggests, then you can install the application. There is no way to get the device to accept a new code signing certificate.

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    It won't be recognized as an operator signature if it's just sitting in the file system. It needs to be on the SIM card.

The security system is designed to stop you doing exactly what you're trying to do. There is no official means of doing it.

You can remove the signature as r2j7 suggests, then you can install the application. There is no way to get the device to accept a new code signing certificate.

Graham.
    Shouldn't the installed certificate (der) include the signing of jar files? To be more precise, I am talking about the Orange Midlet Certificate, and I want to install the Orange Windows Live Messenger (from Nokia X6 RM-599 v12.09 Orange UK) but if I remove the signature part of the JAD, installation says "Jad and Jar attributes do not match" but everything is like in the manifest.mf!

Super Contributor

You may be able to install the application by installing only the JAR (not the JAD).

You cannot install code-signing certificates. Signed applications must be signed with a certificate that matches a root certificate pre-installed on your device.

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    You may be able to install the application by installing only the JAR (not the JAD).

You cannot install code-signing certificates. Signed applications must be signed with a certificate that matches a root certificate pre-installed on your device.

Graham.
    And here comes the "Jar and Jad attributes do not match" error message.
    That's why I want to install it manually.

Super Contributor

If you don't install a JAD, you won't get a mismatch error. I'm guessing that you're installing through your inbox, in which case you have another installation file there. Delete any other installation files.

I'm afraid I can't help you any more with this, as this is a developer forum, and your question is not related to software development. If you need help using an Orange product, you should contact Orange.

Graham.