Discussion Board

3D display on Nokia devices

Hey guys,

I'm new to develop mobile applications on Nokia devices, but I did some projects on Blackbarrys and SonyEricson.
    My question is more like a general "is that possible?".
    Here's the idea:
    There is this guy who takes pictures of an object (a car for example) in a very high resolution and all around it (360°). He creates movies and a Flash applications with that pictures to be able to see that object in 3D.
    So what I like to do now is to do that on a Nokia device and be able to "turn" the object. My thoughts were these:

1. Do it with a flash application (basically just display the one he created) and control it with the corresponding keys (or touch stuff)
    2. Put the (lower resolution) video on the device and control it with fast-forward/backward
    3. Or even create a Java-3D application (performace?)

I guess it also depends on the device which is going to be used.

So what do you guys think in general, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: 3D display on Nokia devices

Hello derape,

and welcome to Forum Nokia Discussion Boards!

Or even create a Java-3D application (performace?)
    For Java ME development, there is Java API called JSR-184 3D Graphics API (M3G) for J2ME which could be used for your implementation. It would be interesting to know what kind of requirements you have for the application, in terms of performance and otherwise (like any specific devices in mind?).

More about JSR-184 can be found from:

Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Developer's Guides > UI and graphics > Mobile 3D graphics

Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Javadocs > Mobile 3D Graphics API

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Hello r2j7,

thank you for your reply. I will have a look at that API.
    I don't really have a specification on what devices (older or current generation) the application should run, nor how it should perform, at best on "all". Since I don't really know any performace differences between the devices, I'd like to get an impression on what kind of devices it will run "well".
    Right now, I'm just trying to figure out, or to classify the devices the application will be able to run at all, respectively "well". Can you estimate anything of that?

Regards,

derape

Nokia Developer Expert

I'm just trying to figure out, or to classify the devices the application will be able to run at all, respectively "well". Can you estimate anything of that?
    One metrics to determine such performance is frame rate, which in terms of JSR-184 3D Graphics API (M3G) for J2ME for example is delivered as frames per second (FPS) value. For different platforms and their corresponding devices there is difference what this value is, which in turn can make difference for example from user experience point of view: the more higher the value is, the faster the graphics appear to be for end user (and accordingly perfomance for lower FPS values).

How much such performance metrics are of importance for your application? Or to put it more differently, is your target to make the application to run on many devices as possible, possibly even at expense of runtime performance? (I.e. with "good enough" performance ensured on certain devices over the most optimal performance on some other devices)

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Well, despite the performace issues, I'm still not sure if the 3D implementation isn't "overkill". Basically what I just need is to be able to browse through images to create that "3D-effect".
    Is it possible to change images fast enough that it looks smoothly, lets say, 15-20 pictures per second? The customer doesn't have any specific requirements, so performance specifications are just to make it look "good" (for the human eye I presume).
    I guess I just need to test it on several mobile devices to make sure if it looks the way I want to.

Super Contributor

personally, out of an time-investment perspective, I would have a look if the already existing Flash appplication can be translated to Flash Lite and if so to which versions... Many Nokia devices have some type of Flash lite support, even though the fragmentation regarding versions is great.. I guess it would become some sort of web-app (widget) or even a website but it might be worth considering that...