Discussion Board

Super Contributor

J2ME cross platform

Hi Experts,
    I am trying to understand the capabilities of the platform and if it suits my requirement.
    - Send an image to webservice via SOAP
    - My application requires a very attractive UI
    - Access to Camera-Power On,Power Off,Viewfinder,Image capture,Video Capture
    - Image display,video playing,video streaming
    - Opening external web pages inside application

I want to develop this application to work across the following platforms

1. Nokia S60
    2. Samsung
    3. Motorola
    4. Blackberry
    5. Android
    6. iPhones

I was looking at some cross platform environments like J2ME Polish,Celsius.
    Can someone explain simply how these work and how reliable they are.
    Can they suit my requirements?
    What are possible hurdles in application testing on device without signing and during signing process?

Regards
    Biju Chandran

Super Contributor

Re: J2ME cross platform

well a completely cross-platform development environment isn't easy to find, also because we are talking several different development languages here (J2ME, Java for Android, Objective C, c++ for S60???)...
    Not to mention that some parties (Apple) won't allow you to develop with such a cross-platform development tool (look at the whole Adobe Flash story of the last couple of months)...
    To be honest what you are asking here is the holy grail in the mobile development, and if all this was feasable then there was no need for platform-specific knowledge and/or developers, which I can assure you there is Just look at how much request there is for platform-specific developers...
    Every platform has other API's, other machine-code etc... For example you are mentioning the iPhone, but there is nothing like an iPhone, ther is an iPhone OS... WHich also runs on the Ipod Touches, who in their turn don't even have a camera onboard... All those little things (and the wider j2me fragmentation) makes the development of such a cross-platform development platform very very difficult and time-intensive, which in turn means it wou;dn't be free to begin with...
    Personally, if I would have developed such a platform (within a company, don't think a single person can do that), I would price it pretty high..
    Anyways those are a couple of such developmetn platforms :
    http://www.innaworks.com/alchemo-jav...cross-compiler
    http://www.appcelerator.com/products...n-development/
    http://www.mosync.com/

Super Contributor

Iam not sure you answered my questions but you surely put me in trouble by increasing my options
    I am looking at a single source code development for specifically following platforms:-

1. J2ME on Symbian platform,Bada
    2. Java on Android
    3. j2ME on RIM Blackberry
    4. Objective C for iPhone

I have listed my requirements.I wish to know if these can be achieved using any of the options like J2ME Polish,Celsius,alcheMo,MoSync.
    Also suggestions and recommendations as to which suits best.
    Also implications of using the above on On device testing and application signing.
    Also many of these product documentation say that a single source code can work on the above mentioned platforms,even iPhone OS.So what are the likely porting tasks to be performed if any of the above product is used across platforms

Regards
    Biju Chandran

Super Contributor

Of the products you list, only alchemo will support the kind of cross platform development you're asking for. However, Apple's new acceptance criteria (as Tiger mentioned earlier) appear to forbid you from using alchemo (or any similar technology). I am guessing you have not yet looked at the cost of products like alchemo... when you do, make sure you're sitting down.

To meet Apple's requirements, you must develop in ObjectiveC or C++, and this means you can't have a single-source solution.

Supporting BlackBerry... a key question is: do you need to use BlackBerry user-interface APIs, or can you simply deploy a MIDlet? Obviously, deploying a MIDlet will help you share code with other J2ME platforms.

Android's "Java" API (it's not real Java) is radically different from any other API, making code sharing tricky. You can use something like microemu, which is basically a set of MIDP look-a-like classes that run on Android. These "wrap" your MIDP application and make it run on Android. But your application won't look or feel like an Android app.

You should note that some of your requirements might not be possible in J2ME on many devices, such as: opening a webpage in the app, or streaming video.

No existing technology will realistically help you with testing. You will need to test extensively across the range of devices you want to support. You will need access to a wide range of handsets.

Cross-platform development with J2ME alone can be a complicated area. Many companies spend more time and money porting J2ME apps across J2ME devices, than they spend developing the product in the first place. That's before you think about developing across J2ME and non-J2ME platforms.

If it seems like we're not answering your question, it's because you're asking a really, really big question. Easier to tell you the meaning of life.

Graham.

Hi, I work at MoSync.

We currently have support for JavaME, Symbian S60 (2nd, 3rd and 5th editions), Windows Mobile 5-6 and Android 1.5.

iPhone and Android 2.x support is scheduled for the next release, which should appear sometime in June.

Bada and Blackberry support will be implemented later, depending on popular demand.

Of the features you need, we currently support:
    • Camera viewfinder and image capture, but not video capture.
    • Image display.
    • Video streaming is experimental, only available on JavaME and Symbian.
    • Web pages can be opened in an external browser, but not an internal one.
    • HTTP and XML parsing. We have example code that shows how to combine these to construct a SOAP client.

Super Contributor

Thanks Fredrik.
    Please correct me if i am wrong.Ideally MoSync will allow me to write a single code version in a platform I am comfortable in (be it j2ME or Symbian C++ or..) and then it can convert that to other platforms..

Quote Originally Posted by chandran.biju007 View Post
    Thanks Fredrik.
    Please correct me if i am wrong.Ideally MoSync will allow me to write a single code version in a platform I am comfortable in (be it j2ME or Symbian C++ or..) and then it can convert that to other platforms..
    Not quite. MoSync applications are written in C/C++, using our own API and libraries.

They are compiled into a low-level intermediate code, which is then transformed and packaged for output to different platforms.

Super Contributor

Thanks Graham.....I think i get your point

Hi ,

Grahamhughes and Fredrik Eldh very use full information about cross platform and the companies which are doing that thanks grahamhughes and Fredrik Eldn.

Try UpOnTek's J2ME (jad/jar) to Android (apk) conversion service. Service includes optimization tips.

Thanks,
    Michal Geva
    www.UpOnTek.com