Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Need suggestions regarding getting the mobile phone number

Hi All,
    Need suggestions regarding getting the mobile phone number using the J2ME or some other way(like Xhtml MP) etc.
    Thank You.

Re: Need suggestions regarding getting the mobile phone number

Hi kpvrlakshmi,

same discussion is happing here , it might be help full to you

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=201562

Regular Contributor

Hi Bhanu,
    According to my requirement I need to do the Authentication using the mobile phone number, for that particular mobile number user I need to give access to the content of the URL.
    Thank You.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kpvrlakshmi View Post
    Hi Bhanu,
    According to my requirement I need to do the Authentication using the mobile phone number, for that particular mobile number user I need to give access to the content of the URL.
    Thank You.
    Explain your need in much more details..
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    From our side we need to send the CAT Prepation Material for the GPRS enabled devices via the website,for the registered user phone number only that URL should open.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kpvrlakshmi View Post
    Hi,
    From our side we need to send the CAT Prepation Material for the GPRS enabled devices via the website,for the registered user phone number only that URL should open.
    You mean to say is that if any of the device hit your server then you wanna send that some data if and only if the MSISDN of that device from which the request arrived is registered in your listing..something like this..?
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Hi kpvrlakshmi,

Did you go through the link which i psted earlier ? What do you get to know about the gettign the msisdn from the http headers ? It is very unlikely you will get the msisdn until unless you have a good ti-up with the network operators and if you manage the users which will use the wifi access point. Then you can expect the msisdn from the http headers. I don't know about the outside India but in india we are doing with some operator . We have good tiups with the operators they enabled for our application.

It will be better to to take any alternative solution than msisdn or prompt the user to enter the msisdn then do some authentication etc...

Hope this will helps you

Need suggestions regarding getting the mobile phone number using the J2ME or some other way(like Xhtml MP) etc.
    You can refer to http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...acturer_domain

System Properties “com.nokia.mid.msisdn” in available on all GSM/3G devices starting from Series 40 6th Edition
    With Manufacturer / Operator domain level certificate.

And for older devices (or without certificate) we need to the workaround of asking the mobile no. from user for activation of the application on the device and then send a port directed SMS to that number to activate the app on that device. Don't allow the app to be used w/o activation.

thanks,
    Ekta

Regular Contributor

ya Raj exactly.

Regular Contributor

Hi Bhanu,
    Can u suggest any alternate authentication technique based on the phone number.
    Thank you.

Super Contributor

I will say that just read the suggestion of Ekta, talking about the feasible solution...
    you can follow the same,
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Nokia Developer Champion

The phone or SIM does not store the phone number (MSISDN) except very rarely:
    Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    And regardless of whether you sign the MIDlet or not, in probably close to 99.9% of cases, network operators (carriers) do not put the phone number (MSISDN) on the SIM card at all (because the phone does not need/use it for anything; it is not used for making or receiving calls, it is not used for making data connections, it is not used for sending or receiving messages, it is not used for connecting or disconnecting to the network, or anything else, really).

You can't usually pick up the phone number on the server side from the HTTP headers, either:
    Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Regarding MSISDN in the HTTP headers:

1) Some cellular network operators (carriers) never put the MSISDN in the HTTP headers for any reason. In that case, you're out of luck for users using such an operator.

2) Some countries (their laws and regulations) do not even allow the MSISDN to be delivered that way. In that case, you're out of luck for all operators in that country.

3) Some operators put the MSISDN there only if you are using the opertor's WAP access point, but not if you use their Internet access point, or any other public APN (Access Point Name). If the user chooses to not use the WAP APN, then you're out of luck.

4) Some operators require a separate contract/agreement and use of a separate/private/custom APN to get the MSISDN, and they charge (invoice) the service provider who needs/wants to know it. If the user chooses to use some other APN, you're out of luck.

5) If the phone user is using WLAN to connect, you won't get it in either case, as the operator is not involved at all (even if the traffic at some point happens to go through the operator's network, it is at that point no longer known which operator's SIM card happens to be in the originating phone). So, with WLAN you're also out of luck.
    If you need to know the phone number in an application running on the device, you have to ask the user to give it to you (type it in a dialog/form that your application presents to the user). You can verify the number by sending an SMS to the number from the app, and watching the message come back to the sending application.

Note, that the phone number can change afterwards (without changing the SIM card, or by the user changing the SIM card). Note also that the user might change the SIM card, but the new SIM will have the old number. In other words, you can't trust that the information is valid even if you ask and verify the number. You would have to mointor for SIM card changes, at least. You could also periodically resend the SMS to see if the number is still valid.

You could also send an SMS from the phone to your server, with any other info you need. Then process the SMS on the server side, possibly sending a return SMS. However, this gets more complex on the server side (you need to use a fixed phone number or shortcode, or you need to retrieve the server's phone number from the network, or something).

What I'm trying to say: You should give up attempting to authenticate using the phone number. Find some other means (traditional username/password, just the IMEI, client certificates, or some other mechanism based on public key encryption, or such).

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by raj_J2ME View Post
    I will say that just read the suggestion of Ekta, talking about the feasible solution...
    you can follow the same,
    Ekta's suggestion won't work. Even if there's a Java property for the MSISDN, it won't return anything except in the very rare cases that the operator has actually put the MSISDN on the SIM card. And, even so, I think the MIDlet would need to be signed to the operator's domain or by the manufacturer, and that's not going to happen, either.

Super Contributor

Hello Petrib,
    And for older devices (or without certificate) we need to the workaround of asking the mobile no. from user for activation of the application on the device and then send a port directed SMS to that number to activate the app on that device. Don't allow the app to be used w/o activation.
    thankful for your detailed and hard to find information,

BTW Petrib what issue can be arises in the above quoted lines?
    Will be thankful to you.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l