Discussion Board

Exclamation Where is Python GUI

Hi all ,

I'm trying to use Python to develop application for S60 3rd Ed , I downloaded

and installed (Active perl - Carbide c++ - S60 SDK 3rd Ed - PythonForS60 2.0.0 -

Python 3.1). What else do I need to download to start writing Python programs ?

Is there GUI in Python language ( To grab buttons or picturebox or radio button) and then start writing my code in their events ??

Where is the Emulator that belongs to Python ??

I'm using Visual Studio 2008 to develop applications for Windows Mobile and I'm confused about Python enviroment .

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Where is Python GUI

now get the S60 3rd Ed MR/FP1/FP2 SDK for C++ and install it ( around 600 mb ) and then copy the content of the pyS60 SDK into the C++ SDK

after that you have a S60 device on your computer with python installed.

nope python has no drag n drop GUI maker...
    it has only pre defined functions like selection_lists, notes, queries and so on...
    for buttons i would use canvas and graphics module and draw em on canvas and make an own "GUI"

actualy you realy dont need any emulator bacause you can install the pyS60 runtime on your phone and the shellscript. after that you can execute the script with the shellscript app that apears in your menu.

"now get the S60 3rd Ed MR/FP1/FP2 SDK for C++ and install it ( around 600 mb ) and then copy the content of the pyS60 SDK into the C++ SDK"

I downloaded and installed S60_CPP_SDK_3rd_FP1 , Is there a reason to download the other one if I'm developing for S60 3rd Ed ???

Another question :

I need to know the steps - main concept - of making a program with python , starting with writing the code in Notebad++ to end up with a signed SIS program that can work on mobile device ??

Super Contributor

Smile Re: Where is Python GUI

Quote Originally Posted by ashraf fawzy View Post
    "now get the S60 3rd Ed MR/FP1/FP2 SDK for C++ and install it ( around 600 mb ) and then copy the content of the pyS60 SDK into the C++ SDK"

I downloaded and installed S60_CPP_SDK_3rd_FP1 , Is there a reason to download the other one if I'm developing for S60 3rd Ed ???

Another question :

I need to know the steps - main concept - of making a program with python , starting with writing the code in Notebad++ to end up with a signed SIS program that can work on mobile device ??
    I think carbide C++ is used for Symbian and Qt programs not for python..
    You can make python program in notepad file with extension .py , and then calling it from emulator s60_CPP_SDK_3rd_fp1 or higher..
    Also sample programs are given in the package.
    And check the output...

Super Contributor

Also see from the below link that how to signed SIS file in python which is explained by cyke64.

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=69904

Best regards,

Also, you should install Python 2.6, since its the version that is used by the pyS60 SDK. The 3.1 version is incompatible with the SDK.
    http://igordsm.googlepages.com

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by igordsm View Post
    Also, you should install Python 2.6, since its the version that is used by the pyS60 SDK. The 3.1 version is incompatible with the SDK.
    Actually the SDK is based on 2.5.4, and having Python installed on the computer has nothing to do with the PyS60 SDK installed on the emulator.

Yes, I know, but he won't be able to use ensymble to generate the SIS with Python 3.1
    http://igordsm.googlepages.com

Nokia Developer Moderator

That's true. I think a 2.5.x version is needed, others won't work (2.6, 3.1 or others).