Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Multiple Cameras

I would like to create a Maemo5/Qt app (for my N900) that shows the output from both the /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 cameras simultaneously.

To keep things simple, I'm using the gst_parse_launch( "v4l2src device=/dev/videoX ! xvimagesink", NULL ) method to get a pipeline. I make two calls, where X is "0" or "1".

However, only the first call works...the second always fails with a "cannot open /dev/video1 for reading or writing" error. If I reverse the calls, obviously the error refers to /dev/video0.

I understand that I cannot open the *same* device in two separate applications, but why can I not open two *different* devices within the same app? Do I need to write some device_open code at a lower level perhaps?

Super Contributor

Re: Multiple Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by DAK View Post
    I understand that I cannot open the *same* device in two separate applications, but why can I not open two *different* devices within the same app?
    There is only one DAC.

I see that there are two cameras feeding into one multiplexor that supplies the camera bus (on the TI OMAP 3430) with data.

Is there no way for the multiplexor to signal (0 or 1) which camera the data comes from, so that driver code could correctly differentiate the data into separate, 'simultaneous', pipelines?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DAK View Post
    I see that there are two cameras feeding into one multiplexor that supplies the camera bus (on the TI OMAP 3430) with data.
    Where do you see it?