Discussion Board

Nokia Qt SDK installation problems

I just installed the latest Nokia Qt SDK, the one that supports Symbian and Maemo development, on WinXP and I have encountered the following problems

1) installation only works when you do it as an administrator, otherwise the visual studio stuff generates an installation error.

2) it looks like the visual studio stuff is dumped in the root folder of either C: or your installation drive (I installed on C. I now have a root folder full of rubbish. Thanks.

3) There are no shortcuts in the created Nokia Qt SDK - beta release > Symbian start menu entry.
    Sander van der Wal
    www.mBrainSoftware.com

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia Qt SDK installation problems

Quote Originally Posted by svdwal View Post
    I just installed the latest Nokia Qt SDK, the one that supports Symbian and Maemo development, on WinXP and I have encountered the following problems

1) installation only works when you do it as an administrator, otherwise the visual studio stuff generates an installation error.
    Hi If you install this other than Administrator. The installation breaks. This is common on all Nokia S60 3rd/5th Edition SDK installations on Windows NT, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. This may not have been mentioned in the docs for the Beta but the need for Administrator is mentioned in many the other products.
    Basically the installer cannot add to the path.

In the article Moving to Windows Vista this is a problem, my belief is that Windows domain served PC and Windows 2008 PDC/BDC domain servers should not be used ie corporate PC's, but standalone PC with local networking.

The short-cuts cannot be installed without Administrator rights, because they install for all users.

You can temporarily run as administrator by right clicking on the install kit and selecting run as Administrator. This means you are administrator for the length of the install.

Finally there has never been any call in 4 years for products to work in the protected user environment.

GIF image blockers stop SDK from working and some virus checker think parts of the SDK is virus signature and delete bits!.

you will need to login as admin and uninstall the SDK. Reboot and install SDK again with administrator rights.

Thanks
    Jim

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by svdwal View Post

2) it looks like the visual studio stuff is dumped in the root folder of either C: or your installation drive (I installed on C. I now have a root folder full of rubbish. Thanks.

3) There are no shortcuts in the created Nokia Qt SDK - beta release > Symbian start menu entry.

It's usual practice that without asking the administrator your computer is not going to allow you to install any of the SDK....

Best regards,

Nokia Developer Champion

I've never needed to "run as administrator" to install any of the Symbian/Carbide/Qt stuff. Of course, my account has admin privileges, but that doesn't suffice for some other packages that REALLY need "run as administrator".