Discussion Board

[moved] How to package a .jad, a .jar and a .sis in another .sis file??

Hi all,

I have developed a symbian application(3rd Edition MR) which requires a .jad, a .jar and a .sis file(i am talking about a sis file other than the application .sis file) to work.

Now, i have tried the following to package them with the application's sis file:
    In my .pkg file i have:

Code:
    ;To install the other sis file i am doing this
    @"BarReader_1_4_1_S60_3_2.sis", (0x20022D93)

;Files to install
    ;You should change the source paths to match that of your environment
    ;<source> <destination>ss
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578.exe"		-"!:\sys\bin\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578.exe"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578.rsc"		-"!:\resource\apps\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578.rsc"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578_reg.rsc"	-"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578_reg.rsc"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578.mif"
    "..\help\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578.hlp"							 -"!:\resource\help\BarCodeApp_0x2002B578.hlp"

;these are the .jad and .jar i want with the application
    "..\sis\Saturn.jar" 										-"!:\sys\bin\Saturn.jar"
    "..\sis\Saturn.jad" 										-"!:\sys\bin\Saturn.jad",FR,RI
    ;"..\sis\BarReader_1_4_1_S60_3_2.sis"			-"!:\sys\bin\BarReader_1_4_1_S60_3_2.sis",FR
    This content of the .pkg file is not working. I am able to create the embedded .sis file for the application but when i try to install it, it shows 50-60% installed and then halts with various error messages:
    1.> unable to install
    2.> update error

Please let me know where am i going wrong.

thanks

Re: How to package a .jad, a .jar and a .sis in another .sis file??

You are getting update error means some of the components have already been installed on the device. Please remove those and then try again.

Super Contributor

;these are the .jad and .jar i want with the application
    "..\sis\Saturn.jar" -"!:\sys\bin\Saturn.jar"
    "..\sis\Saturn.jad" -"!:\sys\bin\Saturn.jad",FR,RI
    ;"..\sis\BarReader_1_4_1_S60_3_2.sis" -"!:\sys\bin\BarReader_1_4_1_S60_3_2.sis",FR
    copy to some other place then \sys\bin

Hi skumar_rao,

Thanks for the reply.

I want to ask do we have to copy these files to the target. Because i want these to get installed alongwith the application's
    sis file.

;To install the other sis file i am doing this
    Is the above line to install the second sis file correct? Is this line enough to install this sis on the device or i have to give any other line also?

Is this the correct way to install the jad and jar files alongwith the application's sis?

Please suggest

thank you

Super Contributor

@"BarReader_1_4_1_S60_3_2.sis", (0x20022D93) that is enough to install the embedded sis.

thanks skumar_rao,

Do you think that jad and jar will get install the way i am doing right now?

thanks

Super Contributor

ideal way to do it is using installer API more about this in http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ogrammatically

hi,

ok...now i only want a sis file to be embedded in the application's sis file.

and i using this line in the .pkg file to achieve this:

The application tries to install but fails at nearly 80% completion and gives error message "Unable to install"
    can someone help on this?

I have not used the CDocumentHandler class. If someone could help on that, it would be helpful to me.

thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by raj8nokiaforum View Post
    The application tries to install but fails at nearly 80% completion and gives error message "Unable to install"
    can someone help on this?
    For example you may consider checking if BarReader_1_4_1_S60_3_2.sis could be installed on its own. An other thing is to check if your .sis file could install without having BarReader_1_4_1_S60_3_2.sis embedded. Then you will know more, or not.
    I have not used the CDocumentHandler class. If someone could help on that, it would be helpful to me.
    This is why the documentation is provided, and the Wiki of course.

hi all,

One problem is solved now. The other sis is now getting installed with the application's sis file.

But interestingly, the problem was that earlier i was using a protected UID for the application.
    But when i changed it to an unprotected UID, things worked. I don't know what was the problem. Can somebody explain?

And now the .jad and .jar are left. Can we do something in the .pkg file only, to install the .jar file with the application's sis file?

thanks
    Last edited by raj8nokiaforum; 2010-06-05 at 06:05. Reason: left one word my mistake

hi,

I am able to copy the .jad and .jar to a particular location on the device but how to make them install on their own?
    I want that the .jar be install on its own while installing the sis file of the application.

pls suggest

thank you

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [moved] How to package a .jad, a .jar and a .sis in another .sis file??

Installation of Java midlets from SIS files has been discussed again and again on these forum, you should be able to find such discussions and learn from them. Conclusion: you can't simply do that by placing a jar file in a sis, some additional work is needed. That work is exemplified in a dedicated wiki article and search works in wiki too. There are still open questions about the subject, like how to cleanely uninstall the stuff, but I guess that's something else you have to search about and find a solution.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite