Discussion Board

Symbian based qt application deployed on the Nokia device

Hi,
    Acctually I want to test my Symbian based Qt application on the Nokia device. Can anybody please let me know how can we deploy a Symbian based Qt application on the Nokia device. It would be great if anybody can provide me the procedure.
    Do I need any approval from Nokia to deploy my application on the Nokia device.
    Last edited by qtguy; 2010-06-04 at 07:22.

Super Contributor

Re: Symbian based qt application deployed on the Nokia device

For an "unofficial" deployment you can create a "self-signed" install package (".sisx" file). This installs with a warning, so long as the phone is set to allow the installation of self-signed apps.

To create an "official" app you need to have it signed -- ie, get/use a traceable "certificate" similar to those used for web sites. Haven't jumped through the hoops for this, but I gather it's not a really big deal, so long as you don't want special capabilities.

To do any of this you need either the Carbide or the Qt Creator development kit. http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...Qt_Quick_Start

I just wanna to see if my application is running on Nokia device or not.
    Please let me how to create "self-signed" install package and how to install it on the phone. Is there any procedure available? If so please provide me the details.

Super Contributor

You can try to find an answer in wiki
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...command_prompt

Nokia Developer Moderator

The IDE automatically signs the app for you, just install the Nokia Qt SDK and from it send your app to the device ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Yeah, Carbide and, I presume, Qt Creator do the job for you, semi-automatically. You do need to do a little setup -- create the "build configuration" that specifies which .pkg file to use in the build. Then the tool creates, at the end of a (error-free) "build" operation, a ".sisx" file which you can install on your Nokia Symbian device.

The .sisx file is installed by first having the Ovi code on your system and the phone connected, then double clicking on the file. It's automatic from there.

You may have a problem that the phone is set to reject self-signed files without asking, in which case you need to go into the phone settings and change an option.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by qtguy View Post
    Hi,
    Acctually I want to test my Symbian based Qt application on the Nokia device. Can anybody please let me know how can we deploy a Symbian based Qt application on the Nokia device. It would be great if anybody can provide me the procedure.
    Do I need any approval from Nokia to deploy my application on the Nokia device.

The below article will load the Qt application in the phone and you can see your output in the phone's display.

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ng_with_AppTRK

Best regards,