Discussion Board

Question Is it worth to publish native paid app to Ovi Store?

Hi, all!

My question is quit naive, although it would be great if someone could confirm that it's worth to submit app to Ovi Store in terms of possible revenue. For example, let's have some utility app with 1 euro price, which is among top 20 bestsellers on all the s60 devices. So, what is the min and max revenue I could get from selling such app? Just some estimation, because what I hear - sales statistics on Ovi Store is very poor. Is it true even for the 'best sellers' category?

Super Contributor

Re: Is it worth to publish native paid app to Ovi Store?

Hi,
    I have had an app in the topsellers a long time ago, and saw little.

So far, we haven't heard of any big sellers on Ovi - big downloaders yes, but sales...

All the best
    Tam Hanna

P.S: Do not expect anyone to give you figures here.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

If you are an individual starting out then it is not worth spending $1000 bucks (Publisher id cost, publishing cost, signing cost , website maintenance included ) on Ovi store unless you are going to deluge the Ovi Store with stunning apps. If you already are a company then of course, it is a new stream of revenue worth pursuing.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Your web site hosting must be very expensive.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hi Itomuta, Would you mind sharing the total cost incurred by you in publishing your app - including Starting a proprietor ship for VAT?

Some of these cost are obviously higher in some places than in other. I've just run a Google search and it seems I can have a basic form of enterprise setup for less than $85. That's if I do the paperwork myself. If I pay somebody to do it for me the cost would be likely double. A domain and basic internet infrastructure (web site, email) $8/month or less. All in all, a lot less than $500 + my work to have the first app in the store.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Hi,
    what country did you base the company in?

A limited costs at least 500 euros to start up AFAIK - and an offshore site is not possible below 1000 euros a year.

Add in the devcert, credit card and the phone - 3000 euros minimum, id say.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

The details are irrelevant Tam, each country has its own rules and costs. My initial comment was based on an incomplete description of the cost, which suggested really expensive hosting

Personally I would not count the cost of setting up a company as part of the Ovi Store publishing costs. One would create a company with a wider scope and with higher aspirations, like that of breaking free from the 9 to 5 life style and becoming its own "master". If you put a price tag on that and throw it on the back of Ovi Store then why don't you add the cost of some 4 years of college (you have to learn programming to start with) and the nights spent coding the application?
    -- Lucian

It is worth to publish applications to Ovi and don't expect like iStore application store. Nokia is improving Ovi store and hopefully it can compete with iStore.

We all know that Nokia is world leader in mobile phone industry and has 40% or more market share.

If nokia does right things at right time, then nokia can beat iStore.
    Apple has tiny market share but its application store generates more than Nokia store or any other stores.

It is very helpful specially for startups, if nokia

1) Make the registration process free of charge or
    2) Deduct registartion fee based on revenue generated by the application.

regards,
    mghasan

Regular Contributor

I personally feel that Nokia should allow individuals to publish. Also do away with Publisher certificate.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    The details are irrelevant Tam, each country has its own rules and costs. My initial comment was based on an incomplete description of the cost, which suggested really expensive hosting

Personally I would not count the cost of setting up a company as part of the Ovi Store publishing costs. One would create a company with a wider scope and with higher aspirations, like that of breaking free from the 9 to 5 life style and becoming its own "master". If you put a price tag on that and throw it on the back of Ovi Store then why don't you add the cost of some 4 years of college (you have to learn programming to start with) and the nights spent coding the application?
    Hi Lucian,
    first of all I hope that the reply gets through.

The reason why I compute this? Because you don't need it for WIndows Mobile, BlackBErry or iPhone. There is no need to have a capital company for any of these platforms!
    My other blogs: