Discussion Board

elf2e32.exe problem

Hi,
    I'm trying to build an E32 Image from an ELF file generated by GCCE,
    So I downloaded the package conteining elf2e32.exe (tools_epoc.zip)
    I unpacked it on the Desktop, then Start->cmd, and I tried this command:

C:\elf2e32.exe --elfinput="test"

but the application crashes, why?

Thanks for help

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: elf2e32.exe problem

Which application crashes, elf2e32 or the resulting Symbian binary?

The tool is included in the SDK as well, and the SDK has the needed scripts to perform the conversion with all the due parameters. For example an attempt to call the tool with a command similar to yours, presuming "test" to be a valid ELF binary, would generate errors (not crashes) due to missing parameters such as
    Code:
    elf2e32 : Error: E1017: Missing options : --defoutput.
    or
    Code:
    elf2e32 : Error: E1017: Missing options : --dso, --linkas.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2010-06-06 at 11:52. Reason: Typo
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Which application crashes, elf2e32 or the resulting Symbian binart?
    elf2e32.exe crashes

The tool is included in the SDK as well
    Are you talking about the S60 SDK?

I've not installed the S60 SDK, I just installed GCCE by which I generated my ELF file (test),
    then I learned that to convert the ELF file to an E32 Image elf2e32.exe was needed,
    so I downloaded the package conteining elf2e32.exe (tools_epoc.zip) from here: http://developer.symbian.org/
    And finally I tried that command...

Yes, a Symbian SDK (or the PDK from the Symbian foundation) would have the toolchain for building Symbian apps.

Here's a sample of the command syntax used for a Symbian application:
    Code:
    elf2e32 --sid=0xe09a2185  --version=10.0 --heap=0x00020000,0x00800000 --stack=0x00014000 --uid1=0x1000007a --uid2=0x100039ce --uid3=0xe09a2185 --capability=None --fpu=softvfp --targettype=EXE --output="$@" --elfinput="$(EPOCBLDUREL)\Image.exe" --linkas=Image{000a0000}[e09a2185].exe --compressionmethod bytepair --libpath="$(EPOCLIB)\LIB" --paged
    The tool may also have external dependencies so make sure to call it from \epoc32\tools, or wherever else you have unpacked to full zip.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Instead of issuing a random command and expecting miraculous results, it may be a good idea to build something in the "official" way, with verbose mode (when the issued commands are also displayed - it is "-v" switch in case of abld, and the new build tool should be also capable of doing something similar).

I installed the SDK, so now elf2e32 does not crash,
    but this time with the following command:

elf2e32 --elfinput=test --output=test.exe --linkas=test.exe

I got this error message:

elf2e32 : Error: Fatal Error in Postlinker

Do try to find documentation for the tool (Symbian Foundation should have it) and then figure out which parameters are optional and which not. A Symbian binary must have the UIDs set, the heap must be also specified and I'm rather sure that targettype parameter is also quite important for the tool.

But as wizard_hu_ already said, probably the safest bet is to use the whole Symbian build chain as provided by the SDK rather than try to hack it.
    -- Lucian

But as wizard_hu_ already said, probably the safest bet is to use the whole Symbian build chain as provided by the SDK rather than try to hack it.
    Thanks for advice,
    One last thing:
    I followed the SDK Guide to create a simple HelloWorld.sis application, and when I try to run it on my phone it works fine... but if I try to run the HelloWorld.exe file
    on my phone file format is unknown, my question is, can I simply compile a file and create an executable application for my phone or I have necessarily to convert it to a .sis file
    in order to run it on my phone? In other words Can my phone run simple applications or they must necessarily be .sis files?

Thanks

An application is almost never just an exe file. There will be resource files and data files to be deployed with it. This is why, like in the PC world, you need an installation kit. And that is what the sis file is, Symbian's equivalent of Windows' *.mif or of a *.deb/*.rpm from Linux.

Symbian's platform security makes mandatory for any binary to be installed on the phone rather than copied there. A file which has not been validate at install time will not be trusted and its execution will be denied. This makes packaging the application in a *.sis file mandatory.
    -- Lucian

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Actually my intent was not about dumping the whole concept, just to suggest checking a command line which worked, like the one you provided - just I had no time to get one, and "abld -v" would have shown it anyway.