Discussion Board

Thread: Java Phones!!

Java Phones!!

Can anyone please let me know why some phones are known as Java Phones and some do not have any category?

For Example: Nokia 3110 Classic comes in Java Phones Category and Nokia 1100 comes in no Category

Also, what is the difference between Symbian and Java Phones? Doesn't Symbian Phones contain Java?

Super Contributor

Re: Java Phones!!

Welcome to Forum Nokia!

"Java phones" generally are those that support Java, and usually it will mean specifically the MIDP form of Java (Mobile Information Device Profile - Java designed especially for mobile phones). In some cases, it might refer to devices that support only Java applications.

3110 Classic runs only Java applications.

1100 does not allow you to install new applications at all, Java or otherwise.

All current Symbian devices support Java, as well as native applications.

I hope that helps a little.

Graham.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello vijaygupta,

Nokia 3110 Classic comes in Java Phones Category and Nokia 1100 comes in no Category
    Could you elaborate which online site provides such definitions?

Forum Nokia's device specifications categorize devices under Editions (earlier known as Developer Platforms) which define of what developer platform version or generation each of the devices are. As general rule of thumb, the Edition (or Developer Platform) label define the matching developer offering (SDKs, available Java APIs, Flash Lite version) and other new software and hardware features (like browser) which are usually available for all the devices under that Edition.

For example the phones which you are referring to, Nokia 1100 is one of older models which did not include any developer offering for Java developers. Nokia 3110 classic is Series 40 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 device which means that it in addition to new device and software features introduced in that Edition it supports Java application development with the matching Series 40 platform SDK.

what is the difference between Symbian and Java Phones? Doesn't Symbian Phones contain Java?
    Nokia devices with Java Runtime and which therefore support Java ME application development include two different device platforms: Series 40 and Symbian. There is no separate Java Phone category used for Nokia devices as an official category name by Nokia.

For more information about Java ME on these platforms, I'd like to suggest to have a look on these related topics in Forum Nokia Java Developer's Library:

Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Introduction to Java ME on Nokia devices

Java Developer's Library 3.5 > Introduction to Java ME on Nokia devices > Nokia device platforms

Regards,
    r2j7
    Last edited by r2j7; 2010-06-06 at 13:48.
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Can anyone please let me know why some phones are known as Java Phones and some do not have any category?
    In simple worlds - Java phones are the feature phones which allows to run Java ME applications and Games on them (i.e. it contains a Java runtime environment - VM) Various mobile phones offered by different OEM's like Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, LG and Samsung fall in this category.While we also have other low-end basic mobile phones which can be only used for basic telephony purpose along with some inbuilt small native OS apps and you cannot add or run any Java ME application or Games on it.

Lot of Symbian and Blackberry RIM OS, Windows Mobile devices also support Java VM and also fall in this Java phone Category, but
    they are generally referred to as Smart phones.
    Thanks,
    Ekta