Discussion Board

Push Notification support

Hi Everybody,

I am trying to find out if Nokia supports Push Notification sort of functionality that is currently supported by iPhone, Blackberry & Android(2.2). I spent a fair bit of time trying to find out if there is any existing thread or blog about this in forum Nokia about push notification but couldn't find it. Not sure this is the best place to post this query in the the generic question section, I couldn't find any better area of the forum to post my queries. This is not a platform specific query, I want to know in any Nokia platform whether is it is J2ME or Symbian if there is any support for push notification type functionality. I know there is a feature in J2ME about Push registry but its not quiet the same, We can send SMS to the device that can get delivered via SMS and can even start an application using push registry, it cost money to send SMS, imagine where you sending a fair amount messages it will cost you dearly if you rely on SMS, and SMS is also not very reliable. Any direction or post in the push notification type article will also be very helpful.

Thank you,
    Manas.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Push Notification support

Currently there is no Push type service available for Nokia devices, so you would need to use SMS based push.

Thanks for your quick reply symbianyucca, That's how much I gathered from my initial research too, Can anyone from Nokia at least confirm if something like Push Notification will be available in any Nokia platform devices in future?

basically. companies usually do not comment any future services that are not announced, so far I have not seen any announcement of such API, thus I would then assume that there are no API, nor no information available whether such API would be on pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    basically. companies usually do not comment any future services that are not announced, so far I have not seen any announcement of such API, thus I would then assume that there are no API, nor no information available whether such API would be on pipeline.
    No offense, but are you sure about this?
    because i've seen this, and it says there is a functionality in the platform. so i would like to guess there is actually an api
    http://ideas.symbian.org/Idea/View?ideaid=6858

the url starts with IDEAS, so I would think it is forward thinking site..

the url starts with IDEAS, so I would think it is forward thinking site..
    there is a query posted to ask if a push noti service exists in symbian, and then someone gives a positive answer

Quote Originally Posted by a1548_772 View Post
    there is a query posted to ask if a push noti service exists in symbian, and then someone gives a positive answer
    What do you mean by that ? where was the positive answer ?

What do you mean by that ? where was the positive answer ?
    “This functionality already exists within the platform, notifications occur in the status area, or more abruptly over the app as your pic has here. There's nothing that needs to be added for this to happen except for developers using those notifications appropriately.”

I'm assuming it is Wap push type, or other SMS based push services that could be utilized, anyway, not other API's for push notifications are there. Also some applications might use pull, and basically just call it push to make it look cooler.

I'm assuming it is Wap push type, or other SMS based push services that could be utilized, anyway, not other API's for push notifications are there. Also some applications might use pull, and basically just call it push to make it look cooler.
    that makes sense, too.
    thank you very much for your kindness and patience

If there is no push notification API, is there a way to wake an application and present a screen. For instance in BlackBerry, an application can be in the background communicating with a server and then present a screen in the fore-ground. Thank you for your help.

If you mean a Symbian or MeeGo device, you can freely have background applications waiting for some event, communicating with a server, etc. And they can also come into the foreground and/or launch an other application if that is better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    If you mean a Symbian or MeeGo device, you can freely have background applications waiting for some event, communicating with a server, etc. And they can also come into the foreground and/or launch an other application if that is better for you.
    Thanks for your rapid reply. Very helpful! That is a satisfactory work around for "Push".

Nokia Developer Expert

Thumbs up Re: Push Notification support

Yes, it does!! Give it a try here: https://projects.forum.nokia.com/notificationsapi

Cheers,
    Michal