Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nice new look and organisation, but what about regular contributors?

The new site is a lot better looking than the old one, and the navigation is much more simple and easy to use to find what you want when you need some info (apart from some teething problems with search). However, what if I come to the site looking to help others on the wiki or DiBo? There isn't any simple navigation there - I'm pretty much assumed to use a bookmark?

Might it be better to put some more prominent links to the community sites (i.e. top level of DiBo & Wiki) along with the feeds on the various technology pages, or even higher up the page tree? I couldn't even find a simple link to get to a DiBo view, just direct links to the posts in the feeds.

Also, what is the positioning of the major Qt focus here vs the Qt Developer Network that's currently in beta? (I much prefer the Qt DN site, even after this upgrade to FN I'm afraid - although it looks like this site cost a lot more, the Qt DN site is cleaner and simpler).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nice new look and organisation, but what about regular contributors?

I too like the new look and feel. Would take some time initially to get used to the new layout. Lot of stress on the eye in the initial phase due to bright colors, hope it gets better soon or I get used to it.

Regarding navigation, I agree with Mark. For e.g. while writing this post, I cannot see how I can directly navigate to the Dibo index or any other forums, which used to be possible in the old dibo using the combo box at the bottom.

The side bar for the dibo would look nice if spitted in sections like the side bar of the wiki. For now I cannot read them individually without stressing my eyes.

Still exploring!
    Last edited by croozeus; 2010-06-08 at 11:33. Reason: added
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

And how did Mark get a purple avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    And how did Mark get a purple avatar?
    On that note, how did you get yellow?
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Edit your profiles (https://www.forum.nokia.com/Profile/Settings.xhtml) and set a picture. Once you make the profile public it will propagate to the forums and blogs as well. That mostly applies to the gray avatars, I'm clueless about the colored ones. (Yellow may be activated profile but no picture set)

Update: Remember to set the profile as public in order for the image (and other info) to propagate.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2010-06-08 at 12:52. Reason: Updated
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

First impression is good, home page looks much more organized, to me atleast everything seems to be easily reachable..

Initial impressions are good...just need to get used to the new look. Like mentioned by Pankaj, a little bright (guess I have to change my monitor settings at best if I dont get used to it soon).

Lots of new features..good news. But sorely miss some old ones (where is todays post? am a little blinded by the brightness maybe!!)

Teeting problems..yes..quite a lot. But guess they should be soon over with.

Cheers

Very clean and organized!
    In my landing page I found layout breaks in Spotlight section.
    What's the purpose of the close button in my landing page?
    When logged as Wiki Admin I also found layout breaks. I'm using Firefox 3.6.3.

Hope this helps

1) After using the dibo for a while now, I feel we really need bread crumbs or some other navigation to the parent forums till the discussion board index.

The bread crumbs above could be made expandable and Home pointing to the dibo index could be an alternative?

Home |...|...|...|...|Feedback on Forum Nokia's Renewal| Nice new look and organisation, but what about regular contributors?
    2) When I am quick replying to a thread, the "+Reply to Thread" button still stays and I tend to click on it rather than "Post Quick Reply". This resets the "Quick Reply", which I found irritating.
    While I may get used to this gradually, new users would be unhappy with this approach.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Nokia Developer Administrator

You can find links to the discussion boards, wiki etc. from the right hand side of the navigation, under Community. I hope this solves your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hautakan View Post
    You can find links to the discussion boards, wiki etc. from the right hand side of the navigation, under Community. I hope this solves your problem.
    Well, I would love to have a direct link - one click navigation to the dibo index and the parent forum I am in. I would opt not to click twice to navigate to these.

Till then, I'd be using the "Community" button that you suggested.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

And does anybody besides me miss the 'direct jump' to the unread posts in the thread?

I had very frustrating experience with opening threads/search/etc. Most times when clicked it took me to save as or open using dialog. This happened in Firefox 3.5.9. I switched to IE and things seem more smoother here. So issue is coz of 3.5.9 firefox or happenes with newer version too?

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Lots of new features..good news. But sorely miss some old ones (where is todays post? am a little blinded by the brightness maybe!!)
    What's New on the left column- http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...e=vBForum_Post
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Nokia Developer Expert

Thank you all for your feedback so far! We will carefully go through all and make further improvements accordingly. To comment on the avatar colours: it depends on your role Blue=creative, grey=other, yellow=developer, pink=business development.

And Felipe, if you meant why to close the green item on the personal landing page, it's just a temporary notice for the new site. Once you close it, you will see a smaller promotional banner.

//Piia