Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

what is configuration and profile?

I don't know configuration and profile clearly although I have read about that.

In the book, it is said that
    A configuration is designed for a specific kind of device based on memory constraints and processor power. And it specifies JVM. A connected device has, at a minimum, 512KB of read-only memory (ROM), 256KB of random
    access memory (RAM), and some kind of network connection. So if a device has that much memory and has full JVM, we can say that it has a connected device configuration? Otherwise, that device has CLDC?

And profile is for what? A device with Mobile Information Device profile is called Mobile Information Device?
    Last edited by komomo; 2010-06-25 at 03:55.

Super Contributor

Re: what is configuration and profile?

Quote Originally Posted by komomo View Post
    Configuration
    A configuration is a complete Java runtime environment, consisting of three things:

* A Java virtual machine (VM) to execute Java bytecode.
    * Native code to interface to the underlying system.
    * A set of core Java runtime classes.

To use a configuration, a device must meet certain minimum requirements as defined in the configuration's formal specification. Although a configuration does provide a complete Java environment, the set of core classes is normally quite small and must be enhanced with additional classes supplied by J2ME profiles or by configuration implementor. In particular, configurations do not define any user interface classes.
    A profile adds domain-specific classes to a configuration to fill in missing functionality and to support specific uses of a device. For example, most profiles define user interface classes for building interactive applications.

To use a profile, the device must meet all the minimum requirements of the underlying configuration as well as any additional requirements mandated by the profile's formal specification.
    I am sure that if you read these lines in depth then you will have the idea about the both.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Regards
    Nilanchala

In the book, it is said that
    A configuration is designed for a specific kind of device based on memory constraints and processor power. And it specifies JVM. A connected device has, at a minimum, 512KB of read-only memory (ROM), 256KB of random
    access memory (RAM), and some kind of network connection. So if a device has that much memory and has full JVM, we can say that it has a connected device configuration? Otherwise, that device has CLDC?

And profile is for what? A device with Mobile Information Device profile is called Mobile Information Device?
    Java ME configurations

Connected Limited Device Configuration : The CLDC covers devices below 512k size of memory for the JVM environment and removes JNI, user-defined class loaders, some class verification items of the class verification process (the reason why we MIDlet Preverify MIDlets compiled to be deployed on CLDC devices) and reflection to fit into this small footprint. The JVM on CLDC devices is called KVM (K-VirtualMachine), nicknamed K-VirtualMachine for kilobyte. The application lifecycle concepts from javaTV and the installation concepts of javaPhone found their way into this Connected Limited Device Configuration.

Connected Device Configuration : The CDC covers devices above the 512k size of memory for the JVM environment. The garbage collector is a separate pluggable item into the CVM deployed on CDC devices. The threads are implemented not as OS specific but as fully implemented threads within the CVM and are known as Green Threads. Threads can also be implemented as OS native threads. Class file verification takes place in the CVM on the device just as in Java SE java platform on desktop systems. The JVM on CDC devices is known as a CVM or the C-VirtualMachine.

Java ME profiles

Profiles provide APIs that focus on a specific group of devices. These devices typically have the same or similar user intefaces (screen and inputs), how the device connects to the network, how the device stores data, and etc. Currently, the Profile Name indicates the Family name of this group of devices or a common functionality with this group of devcies. For example, the MIDP (MID Profile) is for the group of Mobile Information Devices. Java ME profiles are:

Mobile Information Device Profile : The Mobile Information Device Profile ([[MIDP]]) extends and enhances the CLDC to provide a Java environment to develop applications on Mobile information appliances and voice communication devices. The versions of MIDP are:
    MIDP 1.0
    MIDP 2.0
    MIDP 3.0

Foundation Profile : The Foundation Profile is what can be called a vertical specification profile. A vertical specification profile specifies the targeted family of devices by memory size and the optional profiles that may plugin more functionality in addition to this profile. The GUI APIs are often Profiles plugged in on top of this Profile. Typical rich network devices include set top boxes(iTV), auto-computing(telematics), and etc.

Personal Profile : This Personal Profile provides high web fidelity to device with a rich network connection and can use the heavy weight applet classes that were part of the PersonalJava spec. While Personal Profile, JSR62, supports PersonalJava1.1.x and PersonalJava1.2.x of the PersonalJava Application Environment; Personal Profile 1.1 supports the adoption of the subset of J2SE1.4 APIs as Personal Profile 1.0 was based on the subset of J2SE1.3 APIs.

Personal Basis Profile : This Personal Basis Profile provides a basic graphical user interface, ie the AWT lighweight APIs, on top of the CDC and Foundation Profile and is considered as a subset to the Personal Profiles. This profile also provides the xlet classes required for JavaTV.

Information Module Profile : This Information Module Profile supports embedded network connected devices without a graphical user interface. This profile is a subset of the MIDP1.0 profile without the LCDUI classes of MIDP1.0. The typical devices target are modems, household devices, and industrial metering devices. While IMP is a subset of MIDP1.0, IMP-NG is a subset of MIDP2.0.

Digital Set Top Box Profile : This Digital Set Top Box Profile is a subset of JavaTV and is targeted for the smaller set top boxes that deploy OCAP. Thus, this profile differs from the javaTV(CDC, PP PBP) setup in that its on top of CLDC not CDC to support a smaller device memory foot print. However, several concepts are borrowed from the JavaTV items in Personal Basis Profile such as the xlet lifecycle.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Regular Contributor

A configuration is a complete Java runtime environment.
    What is the meaning of complete here?

Regular Contributor

I before didn’t understand about configuration and profile because I even did not know anything about JDK and JRE. I thought now I have more knowledge than before although it is just a little. Hahaha

Can we say like this?
    JRE is Java Run time environment. It is used by those who want to execute java program. That include JVM and core classes.
    JDK is for those who want to develop java programs. To develop a program, it must include a compiler. It must also include JVM and additional files needed to write java program. The developer must also execute their written program for testing. So JRE must also include JRE? Can we say like that?
    We do not need to install JRE if we have installed JDK because JDK includes JRE?

In J2ME, JRE is defined by using configurations and profiles. The configuration defines the basic run-time environment as a set of core classes and a specific JVM. As said, A profile adds domain-specific classes to a configuration to fill in missing functionality and to support specific uses of a device.

What is the role of sdk? What is the difference between sdk and jdk here?

We do not need to install JRE if we have installed JDK because JDK includes JRE?
    The "JDK" is the Java Development Kit. I.e., the JDK is bundle of software that you can use to develop Java based software. The "JRE" is the Java Runtime Environment. I.e., the JRE is an implementation of the Java Virtual Machine which actually executes Java programs.

Typically, each JDK contains one (or more) JRE's along with the various development tools like the Java source compilers, bundling and deployment tools, debuggers, development libraries, etc.

What is the role of sdk? What is the difference between sdk and jdk here?
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...k-and-java-sdk
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Regular Contributor

Please don’t mind for asking this question which may be meaningless. I also feel shy to ask such question.
    But I can’t stop myself asking.

One of the advantages of using Java language is that it is platform independent because of JVM. A program that execute on one kind of processor and os can also execute on other kind of processor and os.
    On mobile phones, what are kinds of processors and os?
    It is the same kind of processor that are used for pc such as Pentium, Celeron?
    And how about os?
    In the book, it is said that “JVM converts byte code into machine code that is understandable by the underlying processor.”
    And there are two kinds of configuration, CDC and CLDC.
    CDC includes the full j2se jVM.
    So they use the same JVM. That means underlying processors and os using for pcs and mobiles are the same?
    In CLDC, it uses KVM instead of JVM. KVM

Whenever there is a new processor and os, do we need to produce a new version of JVM?

Please don’t mind for asking this question which may be meaningless. I also feel shy to ask such question.
    But I can’t stop myself asking.

One of the advantages of using Java language is that it is platform independent because of JVM. A program that execute on one kind of processor and os can also execute on other kind of processor and os.
    On mobile phones, what are kinds of processors and os?
    It is the same kind of processor that are used for pc such as Pentium, Celeron?
    And how about os?
    In the book, it is said that “JVM converts byte code into machine code that is understandable by the underlying processor.”
    And there are two kinds of configuration, CDC and CLDC.
    CDC includes the full j2se jVM.
    So they use the same JVM. That means underlying processors and os using for pcs and mobiles are the same?
    In CLDC, it uses KVM instead of JVM. KVM

Whenever there is a new processor and os, do we need to produce a new version of JVM?
    Processors on mobile devices differ then once of PC's - mobile processors are generally ARM cps's which are non Intel.
    JVM on mobile phones are KVMs.

OS on PC and Mobile phones are different - like PC has DOS, WINDOWS...... and Mobile has Nokia OS, Symbian in S60.

Whenever there is a new processor and os, we need to produce a new version of JVM.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

The JVM is one component of the Java Runtime Environment, JRE.

The JRE is a program, the function of which is to provide an interface between Java Bytecode (which is standard) and the Java API (which is standard), and the underlying processor and operating system's API, whatever they may be. For every combination of processor and OS, we need a specific JRE. So, there is a different JRE for Windows and Mac OS, even though they are both running on the same processor architecture.

Since the JRE is a software product, there is nothing to stop two software developers from developing different JREs for the same target. This is common on Windows Mobile. SInce Microsoft provide no JRE, several companies produce JREs for Windows Mobile.

Whether a device's JRE complies to CLDC or CDC standards depends entirely on what JRE you have installed (or which the manufacturer has pre-installed). Just because the device is capable of supported a CDC JRE, does not mean it has one. All Nokia S60 devices are powerful enough to support CDC, but have only a CLDC JRE installed in the factory.

Graham.

In Simple words configuration consists of JVM and Core Java Classes like import java.util. package.
    but Profile consists of Device specific classes like Midlet,Canvas etc