Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

"Create Wi-Fi connection in offline mode? Yes/No"

What the heck does this mean, and why do I always get it (sometimes multiple times) whenever I try to connect to the local Wi-Fi?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: "Create Wi-Fi connection in offline mode? Yes/No"

I believe that it is designed inherently in that way and you cannot get rid of it. Offline mode suggests that all the radio transmission should be switched off and it goes away with that philosophy. If you try to use Wi-fi connection in offline mode, by its utmost nature it will remind you with that warning on each connection.

You can insert Sim card in it and put it under other than Offline mode and it won't show you that warning anymore.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

What the heck does a SIM card have to do with Wi-Fi? And what does pressing "Yes" vs "No" do?

(And, if you can answer those: Could the prompt possibly be any less clear?)

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    What the heck does a SIM card have to do with Wi-Fi? And what does pressing "Yes" vs "No" do?

(And, if you can answer those: Could the prompt possibly be any less clear?)
    The heck with SIM + General profile is that your phone will no longer be in the Offline mode(and hence it can understand that you have chosen to transmit radio signals) and you won't get that "Yes/No" warning anymore. And pressing "Yes/No" is self-explnatory w.r.t the warning you are getting, isn't it?

Anyways re-reading my previous post(carefully and calmly this time) will help.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

It seems to me that the Wi-Fi connection is independent of the SIM, and if you want to create the connection with the SIM in, you'd even MORE want to create it with no SIM.

Yes/No ISN'T "self explanatory". Does it mean that the connection is being created "offline" -- without actually connecting? If you say "No" does it mean that no connection is created?

Nokia Developer Moderator

I try to explain it slowly, and you may consider understanding.
    If you have a SIM card in the device, and the device happens to be in any other mode than offline, it also means that you have accepted the fact that your device transmits radio signals. So you are not in a hospital or on an airplane for example.
    If the device is offline mode, there is no radio traffic by default, so the device has to make sure somehow that the user really wants it to transmit anything. Until it has no mind-reading capabilities, this question has to be asked for safety (and legal) reasons.

Nokia Developer Champion

OK, that sorta makes sense. But it still leaves me wondering why the phone can't remember for more than 30 seconds what network it's connected to. I'll make the connection and it'll be OK for a minute and then lose the connection. And the Wi-Fi base station is about 20 feet away.

(I don't have any trouble with an iPhone.)

If you instantiate an RSocket, and issue some outgoing request on it (mainly Connect and SendTo), that will result in implicitly starting a connection. However that connection is dropped when you close the socket, so a forthcoming new RSocket instance will not "remember" it.
    Have an RConnection variable, Start it at the beginning of your code, Close at the end, and pass it to your RSocket-s (in RSocket::Open) between the two.

Nokia Developer Champion

What I mean is that the phone can't seem to remember the Wi-Fi settings. Set it up and connect, maybe browse a page, and it works. Come back 5 minutes later and you have to go through the whole setup sequence again or it'll say "no connection". This is just using the web browser, eg.

That is an entirely different topic. Or do you find it to be the case that the phone only forgets access points when in Offline mode?
    How do you initiate the access point search & define? What if you go to Settings, Connectivity, Destinations and there create an access point for the desired network? Would that be remembered?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

I think one problem is that the access point is hidden, so you can only set it up in a round-about manner.