Discussion Board

Exclamation Windows 7 / N97, S60 3rd edition FP2 SDKs not working

I've installed the following SDK's on my Windows 7 laptop. However some of them (all the ones which are now branded as "Nokia" and installed under "c:\s60" rather than original directory "c:\symbian" do not work correctly. I am prevented from developing for these platforms.

Symptoms: Installation proceeds normally with no error. All emulators can be run from the start menu. However typing "devices" at the command prompt only provides me with the 2 sdk's installed under "c:\symbian" and does not provide me with details of the SDKs installed under "c:\s60".

Checking Carbide only the SDKs installed under c:\symbian are visible.

This then prevents me from switching SDKs and building for any of the newer platforms.

SDKs installed:
    S60 3rd MR (c:\symbian) - works is shown in devices and I can develop for this platform
    S60 3rd FP 1 (c:\symbian) - works is shown in devices and I can develop for this platform
    S60 3rd FP2 (c:\s60\devices) - not shown in devices, cannot be used
    Nokia N97 SDK v1.0 (c:\s60\devices) - not shown in devices, cannot be used

Any advice on how I can correct these errors? (I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling)

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Windows 7 / N97, S60 3rd edition FP2 SDKs not working

I' actually having 64-bit home premium W7, and I basically just installed all required (perl & java runtime) excatly the versions specified, then installed Carbide 2.3 (to non.programs folder) & All SDK's as standard installation, and only did that Vista correction on copying the pm file as suggested. And so far no problem, also checked that the devices are reported ok with this one.\

Anyway, can you just build with Carbide ?, then you wouldn't need to care of which device is set on mostly..

Unfortunately Carbide doesn't detect the SDKs installed in c:\S60 folder at all. So I can't even use the IDE to compile. Can you give me some details on the vista correction steps you've taken? I've not preformed them.

just read the help file from: C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\Plugins\vistapatch for example. Currently I haven't even needed to use the env.bat, though have only build few projects sofar.

mc_woods, you simply have to solve the file virtualization problem. Vista and 7 will not let non-admin apps to write under c:\Program Files and that's exactly where devices.xml is. As a consequence some SDKs have not been added to devices.xml and very likely another copy of devices.xml has been created somewhere under your user profile directory. Find this copy, merge its content with the one from the correct location and then delete the copy so that all the tools read from (and in admin mode also write at) the correct location.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite