Discussion Board

Is it possible to make own maps with using Nokia Map api

Hi everyone.We want to develop an LBS application with using Nokia Maps api.But we haven't find anything about this.Isit possible or not.
    Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Is it possible to make own maps with using Nokia Map api

Currently there are no publicly available APIs for accessing Nokia Maps, so you would need to wait untill such API might become available.

First of all thank you for your reply.I want to ask another question?Is Nokia doing an interruption to developers about using google maps api in their application.I mean if we use google map api in our appliation is this cause any problem distributing the application from ovi store or any other problem.Do you have any idea about this?
    Thanks

Is there any estimation about availability?
    Currently I have a possible project in which I have to launch a navigation program. Sadly, I think that the only solution will be to use Android.

Quote Originally Posted by mhakkiersoy View Post
    First of all thank you for your reply.I want to ask another question?Is Nokia doing an interruption to developers about using google maps api in their application.I mean if we use google map api in our appliation is this cause any problem distributing the application from ovi store or any other problem.Do you have any idea about this?
    Thanks
    Basically you should maybe send email to the publish@ovi.com and ask teh quesion from the Ovi internal folks, I'm just general expert and not knowing all stuff that Ovi does or doesn';t do.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkham View Post
    Is there any estimation about availability?
    Currently I have a possible project in which I have to launch a navigation program. Sadly, I think that the only solution will be to use Android.
    Currently there are no APIs on public space, as well as there are no road maps on any API if one would exists, so there is no way's I could have any comment of availability of any possible API or their possible roadmaps.

Tahnk you for all your replies.We decide to develop our application google map based.
    Best regards

Goole might be good choise, anyway, do check news, once, we have Nokia APIs for the maps, you could also do it with them then.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    once, we have Nokia APIs for the maps, you could also do it with them then.
    Why (if by then there's already a working version that uses Google)?

Thanks for your answers symbianyucca, but I think the same as petrib. If I develop a solution for Android, why is my client going to change all their phones for Nokia ones?

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Why (if by then there's already a working version that uses Google)?
    Can't you think of any advantage that Ovi Maps currently has over Google's solution? Once developers have the Nokia Maps APIs (if ever) they could evaluate their value at that moment and decide whether to use it or not.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkham View Post
    Thanks for your answers symbianyucca, but I think the same as petrib. If I develop a solution for Android, why is my client going to change all their phones for Nokia ones?
    My congratulations to you Aarkham if you are working on an application which can have such impact in a user's decision over which phone to buy. But I'll believe it when I see it. I think it is more likely that such decision is made based on other criteria and therefore you are likely to find customers for your app having Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, HTC, Apple or any other devices. It is up to you to identify where those customers are, then make your app available to them.

As for "I need Google Maps therefore I chose Android" that may not be very sound logic. Google's Maps APIs are available from any device and any OS. Just read the licensing terms and decide whether you can use it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

And when I asked why to use Nokia/Ovi Maps APIs (when ever they become available), when the app already is written using Google Maps APIs, I did assume that even if it was using Google Maps, it would still be on a Nokia device.

In other words, if one already has the app on a Nokia device using Google Maps, what are the reasons why that app should be rewritten to use Nokia/Ovi Maps? What more will Nokia/Ovi Maps and its APIs provide, that makes it worth the developer's while to change an existing app from Google to Nokia/Ovi?

Well, having access to offline map data is one significant advantage one would want to be able to use. And who knows what else Nokia's APIs would ever offer. I'm not saying that developer would have to port their app, I'm saying developers should of course consider it.
    -- Lucian

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    My congratulations to you Aarkham if you are working on an application which can have such impact in a user's decision over which phone to buy. But I'll believe it when I see it. I think it is more likely that such decision is made based on other criteria and therefore you are likely to find customers for your app having Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, HTC, Apple or any other devices. It is up to you to identify where those customers are, then make your app available to them.

As for "I need Google Maps therefore I chose Android" that may not be very sound logic. Google's Maps APIs are available from any device and any OS. Just read the licensing terms and decide whether you can use it.
    Well, the client is interested in a solution for their workers that includes server based software as well as mobile. He will buy the devices that we choose, so, yes, in this case I have a big impact in his decision. I,m sorry but I don't think that my client has any interest in showing you the software, I think that you won't believe me.

I am not using web based Google Maps, can I use a google map view inside Symbian? That certainly is new.