Discussion Board

Play Video Files from WRT

Hello,
    i am developing an app that should play some video files. I can convert them to any format necessary, right now i have 3GPP, FLV, MP4, WMV etc...

However i can't find a way to play them. What do i have to do to open them in the player from the WRT? They are only downloading. But even the downloaded file shows only garbage and cant be played. When i copy the files trough USB to the device it works flawlessly.

I did read about embedding a flash lite player (does not work, app crashes or no video gets played), creating smtp:// links which i could not get to work either.

Can it be so hard to simply open a video? Can somebody explain to me in simple terms and easy steps what i have to do to open it in the video player? Thanks.

Re: Play Video Files from WRT

I have it running flawlessly on the iphone and android now. Can't believe how incredible complicated it is to develop for symbian, no wonder the OVI-Store is so emptry. How hard can it be to play a simple video file? In the iphone version i simply linked to the .mov file and thats it. But i still have no idea for my symbian app. The flash player crashes, direct linking to files does nothing, what can i do?

Direct linking to a video did play a video for me, but it does download and play externally. Hard to build a loading page while this is going on, would be much nicer if we could embed video in the widget.

I've found very little information on this, hopefully we can get enough people asking in here to get a reply

I have given up on it. It seems to be impossible. I got a flash lite playing in crappy quality but the phones do not have enough RAM for it and keep crashing.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,

video streaming in Flash Lite shouldn't generally cause those kind of issues: are you using real streaming, download-and-play (e.g.: on HTTP) videos, or something else? Also, which is the average video size?

Pit