Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

COFFEE LBS TUTORIAL google maps API doubt

Hi
    In the Coffee LBS tutorial, we need to generate google maps API code. But the google map API page requires a website address. I don't understand how if I give my website address, the app on the phone will access google maps.
    In short, what is the connection with my website address and the app on my phone? Do I need to host any file on my website? (which is ridiculous- but I still don't understand how google map API code will work ) Please clarify

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: COFFEE LBS TUTORIAL google maps API doubt

I dont read Coffee LBS tutorial yet (bcoz i dont know where it is) and dont know which type of Google Map APIs u r using . I have an experience of using STATIC Google Maps Apis which works without hosting anything on ur web. You just need to practice MovieLoader and sendAndLoad Apis in Flash Lite to use this API. Moreover, Google Maps Components will not work on Flash Lite 3 as it is written in AS 3 and even if it supports AS 3 than this component needs alot of optimization to work with the devices. Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Regular Contributor

It is a part of series of Flashlite tutorials under Adobe's Open Screen project. http://www.forum.nokia.com/Develop/O...utorials.xhtml In fact I feel the tutorials cover all aspects of Flashlite and are the BEST series of tutorial ever. Every Flashlite developer needs to go through the tutorial. It has the flash files too.
    I went ahead and entered an arbitrary webaddress to get the API code & have used it in the flashlite app. Unfortunately, the app just hangs ! I have seen your name all around the Flashlite forums & hope you can have a look at the example & suggest what might be the problem. Thanks
    Last edited by rajan.mba; 2010-06-14 at 12:03.

Nokia Developer Champion

I read out the code and i guessed quite right Coffee LBS Tutorial just uses the Google Static Maps API. You dont need have to a website to make it working. And i think u r asking about API KEY not API code ? If thats the case than u can enter any address to get the API Key. Once u have a key in your hand, u just need to understand that how Google Static API actually works. Please, follow the link provided in my previous post and learn how Google Static Maps work and what all of its parameter stands for. Because if u just go straight without looking at it then may be u can trap into a number of errors. Moreover, if u getting any problem in the matter then BE SPECIFIC while discussing ur probelm.Tell us as much as u can i.e ur device, flash lite version, the statement causing the error, the things u modify in the tutorial or the function u code which may cause the problem. Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    Thanks for looking into the issue. Sorry I didn't mention the specifics (I assumed the device specs are clear since the tutorial is for 5th edition devices only) : Iam using Nokia 5800xm , Flashlite 3 , compiling the code on CSFlash 4 with as2.
    I did use google code ( you are right it is not 'google API' but 'google code'). The problem is I don't get any error message at all - the device just hangs ( On computer I can't test it on device central as it does not support GPS). I have emailed the Omega mobile - the creator of the tutorial for help too. Iam checking out the google API link too. Thanks for your help
    P.S: Read API: Seems google static map API 2 no longer requires API key ! Will try without the 'code' now
    Last edited by rajan.mba; 2010-06-16 at 08:26.

Nokia Developer Champion

Today, i get free from my exams and now ready to test new things . I tested it on my device N97 mini and it is working without an issue. Now, we have to find out the exact reason behind it. Can u upload ur testing swf to any Free File Hosting Site and provide a link here , so , i make sure that whether it works fine or have some issues.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft