Discussion Board

dettect location using wifi

hello
    can any one help me to detect my location using wifi
    or, is there j2me code to do that?
    please help me or give me any information

regards

Re: dettect location using wifi

Yes, you can do it by seraching your wifi access point on Skyhook's WiFi database. Check skyhookwireless.com
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by souhir View Post
    hello
    can any one help me to detect my location using wifi
    or, is there j2me code to do that?
    please help me or give me any information

regards
    As I know Wi-Fi is used for the internet not for finding the location in the particular area, because the area is very small. So, no need to find out the location.

GPS is used to find out the location of the mobile or any device in any geographic area, because the area is large.
    If you want to proceed then go here:
    https://cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutio...y/wifich2.html
    http://www.enterprisemobiletoday.com...Telehealth.htm

Cheers,
    RaHuL

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post
    As I know Wi-Fi is used for the internet not for finding the location in the particular area, because the area is very small. So, no need to find out the location.
    For getting location info inside the buildings or areas where you don't have GPS signals or if your device do not have GPS chip - people have build Wi-fi Access point locations and Cell Tower locations databases from which we can get the locations (Lat/Long) of the cell towers or Wi-fi APN's from which the device gets the signal.

Both is case of Wi-fi or GSM network, we can get SSID of wi-fi access point and Cell-ID of GSM towers along with relative Signal strength for all GSM towers or Wi-fi APN's from which the device is getting signals. Based on this data - you can calculate the exact location of your device from these data points.

In J2me - you can try IAP Info API to get the wi-fi access points in range and their ID ---- which can be used to pull the location info about these Wifi ANPs from Skyhook's WiFi database.
    http://library.forum.nokia.com/index...45480ED2A.html

For GSM network --- you can get Cell-ID from device using System properties and use Google Open cell database to find your location.
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._ID_in_Java_ME
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

You will not be able to perform wifi-based location in J2ME, because you do not have low-level access to the connection information (such as the MAC address of the connected router or the relative signal strengths of different available networks). You would need to write a C++ application to do this. Then, you need a database of wifi access points, which I suspect is not easy to find (without paying for it...).

Graham.

FREE Wi-Fi based Location Service database and API (LOKI 2.0) from Skyhook Wireless

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/press/skyhookloki2.php
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

You have this working in Java ME?

In J2me, I tried but no success - even from IAP Info API (com.nokia.mid.iapinfo.AccessPoint.getID()) I am unable to get MAC address or the SSID of the Access points in range which is needed as an input for the Query to this location database.

As you mentioned below, I also feel this must be possible with the help of Symbian C++ on S60 devices and then we can use skyhook's free database to get our location.

If we get some such free database on public Bluetooth hot-spots, we can get the destination Bluetooth ID address(using JSR-82) and search it for location.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

@ ektasrv

Yes, you can do it by seraching your wifi access point on Skyhook's WiFi database. Check skyhookwireless.com
    In J2me, I tried but no success - even from IAP Info API (com.nokia.mid.iapinfo.AccessPoint.getID())
    Don't give external link, unless you have completed that project or succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post
    @ ektasrv

Don't give external link, unless you have completed that project or succeed.
    I gave the Link of "Wi-Fi based Location Service database and API (LOKI 2.0) from Skyhook Wireless" as Graham was asking about the availability of any such FREE database.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

a free database without a compatible interface (for j2me) to it seems kinda of futile to me... Unless, obviously, the database data can be obtained in it completeness so that (in the worst case) you can set up your own server and web service for your j2me app... With the last part I obviously mean you can get the whole free database from the company and not (probably illegally) try to copy it request by request...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    a free database without a compatible interface (for j2me) to it seems kinda of futile to me... Unless, obviously, the database data can be obtained in it completeness so that (in the worst case) you can set up your own server and web service for your j2me app... With the last part I obviously mean you can get the whole free database from the company and not (probably illegally) try to copy it request by request...
    We can directly make calls to Skyhook database API, pass the SSID or the MAC address of the wi-fi APN's from which we are getting signals and fetch their locations from it using HttpConnection() and a simple GET request in Java ME, so No need to copy or replicate the database.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

How are you gonna retrieve the wifi-apn then ? Or the MAC address ?
    I am still curious if that database is publicly available, as in if it;s possible to get a free copy of it...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    How are you gonna retrieve the wifi-apn then ? Or the MAC address ?
    I am still curious if that database is publicly available, as in if it;s possible to get a free copy of it...
    As I mentioned before in this email thread (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...l=1#post751656) and gave the link which says its free to use thu their API for developers..... we don't need to copy it.

I wrote about certain workarounds and solutions based on wi-fi location service by skyhook which are used in many iphone apps .... and how it can be used with J2me & Symbian.... if some people feel that its not possible please don't try it... if someone wants to try the workaround - give it a try - I will try to help to max.

It's no use that we argue on this topic further as perhaps the original owner of the Issue has already lost its track.

I have another related Topic I just post it in a new thread.
    Last edited by ektasrv; 2010-06-28 at 17:27.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

never mind, you don't get the point...