Discussion Board

JSR-179 on real hardware

Hi,

i try to get jsr-179 software run on my nokia e61. it's a simple application developed in j2me which tries to read it's position from the phones network-based or gps location. in the emulators of the wtk and s60-sdk everything went find. but on the real hardware device it does not get any location information. "System.getProperty" tells me that the jsr-179 api is available.
    i tried on a nokia 5800 with gps (the location providr stays on "available") and on e61 (location provider becomes "temporarily unavailable") with network based locating. but neither my software nor the TouristRoute (http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._v1_0.zip.html) example works. Does anyone knows that problem?

Super Contributor

Re: JSR-179 on real hardware

Welcome to Forum Nokia!!

First thing to check... does any other GPS software (like Ovi Maps) work on the device?

If not, sit outside in an open area, with the device, for at least 15 minutes. The first time you use a GPS device, it can need some time to retrieve a complete directory of all the satellite orbits.

Graham.

yes, ovi maps works and the gps icon shows me that the device is connected. but what's about the the network based location? does this differ from provider to provider? i found some posts in this forum saying network-based locating is unusable at the moment. is that still up to date?

Super Contributor

well, to begin with you cannot actively choose for a network-based location, as in you cannot programmatically say " i want a network-based location instead of a let's say gps-based location...
    Also the LocationProvider class simply will supply you with a Location, how that Location has been determined is completely up to the underlying API/OS... So your software will ask for a location, the API will try to get a Location through it's available means (GPS,network-based etc) and will supply you with the best possible location in it's own opinion... So if it thinks the GPS location is the best one you will get that one...
    Personally I have never ever seen a network-based location being given, also because that must be supported by the providers itself...
    You could try that though by deselecting AGPS and GPS from the Location methods within the device's options menu's and see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by joe.doe View Post
    yes, ovi maps works and the gps icon shows me that the device is connected. but what's about the the network based location? does this differ from provider to provider? i found some posts in this forum saying network-based locating is unusable at the moment. is that still up to date?
    network based location: is the location provided by the network operator and for getting that you may not need to use JSR 179 at all.
    Some Network operators provide special API's to get the location of a mobile device by passing its MSIDN/IMEI no, its they track the mobile phones. Its based on the HLR(Home location Register) entry on the operator network.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Thanks to you all. That clarifies my problems.