Discussion Board

3gp video conversion

Hi,

I am writing an application where 3650 users upload 3gp video files via e-mail to a web site where they can be watched.

How do I have to proceed to convert the .3gp files into another file format like AVI that is supported by the common media players ?

From "Video in Nokia Phones" I found that 3gp files contain H.263 video and AMR audio. Is it possible to convert the file format without transcoding the video/audio streams?

Are there any tools or API available to do this? Any info or help will be greatly appreciated.

Samuel

Hi Samuel

You Said:

[...]

>Are there any tools or API available to do this? Any info or help
    >will be greatly appreciated.

- same problem here. But I can't even manage to transcode .3gp files... I've tried every h.263 codec I can find, but no joy. Persumably it's in a custom wrapper of some kind. But it does appear possible to make MPEG-4 files from .3gp, and I hope to get details later this week, and of course from MP4, you can go to anything you want on an automated batch basis with little or no hassle.

Have you managed to transcode from .3gp? If so, I'd probably give you my wife, family, pets, flag, honour and worldly goods if you could tell me how[1].

It may just be me, but it does seem the documentation available here on Forum Nokia could be a tad more explicit as regards this video format.

Thanks

[1]. Bearing in mind I tell a lot of lies.

Hi,

No I am not able to transcode .3gp file neither. I was trying to use the Java Media Framework as my application runs on a Java application server but 3gp file format is not supported by JMF.

Please keep me updated if you are able to do anything with these files or if if find any valuable information about the file format.

Could anybody from Nokia tell a bit more about how to proceed, where to get more information about the file formats? I mean technical specifications.

If I look at the MediaConverter, I see that you try to make the delivery of media content to the phone easier. However I think that doing the other way around (integrating media captured by the mobile device) should not be neglected since it could be used in many application cases.

thanks for your help
    Samuel

MMAPI implementation

I like to use the MMAPI implementation in the Series 60 SDK.

By the way, what is the difference between the

Series 60 MIDP SDK 1.0 for Symbian OS, Nokia edition

and

Nokia Series 60 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.2

regarding MMAPI

I downloaded the later.

I like to extract classes needed for displaying media of type
    video/3gpp and use it not in the J2ME context.

Thanks in advance

Florian

Hi...

Check this...

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB...?p=95280#95280

Manos Moschous

automatic conversion on unix

I want to do the conversion on unix (Tru64 or linux)!

So any Unix tool is needed or some perl or some java to
    do the conversion!

We can convert phone captured 3gp clip

The point is that you have to figure out the format of the phone captured 3gp clip, and use some ready transcode tool, such as JMF to convert it to some more popular formats. This is just a few hundred lines of Java code. But it's really a pain to hack 3gp format BIT by BIT.