Discussion Board

Cool How to render local language in canvas ?

Hi all,

I am developing an application in which we need to display a local language(say hindi..) on canvas.

My question: Is it possible to use our language to paint on canvas or any thing else?

If possible please tell me how could i do that.

Regards
    Sivaji

Super Contributor

Re: How to render local language in canvas ?

Search for grahamhughes post about how to use custom fonts: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...?search_type=1

Quote Originally Posted by sivaji_boss View Post
    Hi all,

I am developing an application in which we need to display a local language(say hindi..) on canvas.

My question: Is it possible to use our language to paint on canvas or any thing else?

If possible please tell me how could i do that.

Regards
    Sivaji
    Most of the devices from OEM's sold in a said market support local languages for e.g. all Nokia devices sold in India support Hindi locale and device firmware for India supports rendering of Hindi fonts.
    Thus you can use Hindi Unicode text directly with drawString() to draw on Canvas, it will be displayed using System's default Hindi fonts.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Super Contributor

or check the wiki article based on the posts of Graham which were mentioned by petrib :
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...e_custom_fonts
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Nokia Developer Champion

If you try to use Custom Fonts to render Hindi Character wise on Canvas, you need to implement your Hindi Language Grammatic engine also... as the placement and design of half character changes in Hindi depending on the main full character to which it is attached, Hence it is recommended to depend on the device capability of rendering local languages like Hindi & Hebrew and use only Device Native fonts for easy localization of your application, as Ekta suggested below. If the application is targeted to a particular market, the device firmware generally support the local language rendering.

You can also use LWUIT and its resource editor/bundles for localization where you can directly add the values in local language and use the keys in your program code, it renders local languages like Hindi & Hebrew on its own using device native fonts.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps