Discussion Board

Exclamation Developing for N95 8GB

Hi to everyone,

I'm new to developing apps for Symbian and I want to start with the Nokia N95 8GB that I use. I'm in t
    he process of setting everything up. I understand that N95 supports the S60 SKD 3.0 FP1, right?
    In other words, if I download & install other SDK, say S60 3rd FP2 or S60 5th then it won't work?

If i decide to develope later on for another Nokia that supports a different SDK? Do I have to reinstall
    the whole thing again? Can different SDKs be installed? Will Qt recognize those?

And finally, with the AppTRK. Which one do i have to install. There are many of them? Which one of
    them is the right one for the N95 8GB?

Thanks a lot!

--
    Jorge Dávalos
    jdavalos@hotmail.com

Super Contributor

Re: Developing for N95 8GB

you can have as many SDKs as you can in your system at same time, they will work without any problem.
    About Qt Creator detecting them you have to install the Qt install files on each of the SDK (make sure to select all SDKs that you want at Qt installation wizard)
    be sure to install carbide.c++ and update which will help you in installing correct AppTRK for your device.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Basically if you would do Symbian apps, you could check which is the olders SDK that supports your requirements. For exmaple 3rd ed FP1 SDK does not really bring that much addition to the 3rd ed MR SDK. This way you could support biggest amount of devices, since applications done with older SDKs can be aften make in a way that they support all newer devices.

For exmaple, 90% of my apps that I do as my Hobby have been compiled ith MR SDK, and still they do support even 5th edition devices.

Hi skumar-rao,

First of all thanks for your reply. Now I'm stuck with the AppTRK. I downloaded s60_3_1_app_trk_3_1_2
    and when I click on the file nothing happens? It should load the AppTRK onto the phone but nothing
    happens. If OVI is not opened it opens it, but that's it. If OVI is already opened nothing. Any ideas? The
    version of my Nokia firmware is 11.0.026. I've read somewhere that I have to update it. I'm trying that too
    but Ovi keeps giving en error. Also tried with the NSU, but same. It starts and hungs? Again, any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi symbianyucca,

Thanks for your reply too! If you could please read my new post and give me any help?

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator

You should propably try always having latest version of firmware, so try updating it again. Also sending the sis file to the device depends on your pc, basically you could either try connecting it in PC-Suite mode and then using the OVi suite to transfer the file, ot use bluetooth OBEX sending directly.